Re: To hand quilt or not to hand quilt?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 120
sydney gossin posted on Sat, Jul 26 2014 2:03 PM

I made my first quilt 30 years ago but it was hand tied. Life got in the way and I put quilting away for 30 years . I have started again but want to do hand quilting. I tried using a frame, in fact just sold my Grace Next Generation frame because it was just too large for the space. I tried free motion but never could get the hang of it. I have been thinking of hand quilting. I have questions about thread, needle size , hoop or no hoop. I know that once I get started I will love it. I used to hand embroidery and cross stitch all the time. I couldn't find a thread  for hand quilting on this board

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Answered (Verified) Flo replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 4:37 PM
Verified by sydney gossin

I mostly hand quilt.  I use a hoop, but I have several sizes.  You should use a between style needle size 8 to 11, I like a size 10.  Use only hand quilting thread, its a little heavier than machine quilting thread or 100% cotton thread.  I also use a conditioner on my thread like Bees Wax or Thread Heaven, it will help the thread glide through the fabric easier and slow down the tangles.  Also don't forget a thimble.  I have used many types, but I prefer the Half thimble by Clover.

Help I helped.

Flo

• | Post Points: 55

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Answered (Verified) Flo replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 4:37 PM
Verified by sydney gossin

I mostly hand quilt.  I use a hoop, but I have several sizes.  You should use a between style needle size 8 to 11, I like a size 10.  Use only hand quilting thread, its a little heavier than machine quilting thread or 100% cotton thread.  I also use a conditioner on my thread like Bees Wax or Thread Heaven, it will help the thread glide through the fabric easier and slow down the tangles.  Also don't forget a thimble.  I have used many types, but I prefer the Half thimble by Clover.

Help I helped.

Flo

• | Post Points: 55
Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 120

You did! Thank you very much! I have been told that a bar of Ivory Soap works as well? It can only be Ivory!  I asked about the hoop because I can't use the rocker method of quilting.  It makes the tension too tight. I know that you have to be able to move the fabric and not the needle...Thanks Scraphappie

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
6 Posts
Points 120

I have a thimble but it keeps falling off my finger. It's a medium, small is too small.  Now to get one that fits my thumb and for my underneath finger.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
435 Posts
Points 8,750

Hi Sydney....I hand quilt and the thread I use is Guterman 100%  cotton hand quilting thread, it's very strong and works very well. I use a round hoop that is about 20 inches for my smaller quilts and then for my larger ones I have a Grace Z44 frame. The thimbles I use are leather, they have hard plastic or metal inserts, the are called Skin Thimbles, I usually order them in quantity, cause after doing a large quilt I usually need to replace the thimble, I have tried every thimble out there and always come back to these. I like the one with the piece of plastic inside that wraps around my finger tip so that when one side gets too worn I can just flip it over and get twice the usage out of each thimble. I can't stand the grating sound the needle makes on a metal thimble, you know it's like scratching nails on a chalk board to me. I use one on my finger and  thumb, but my under hand I don't use anything, I just rely on my finger getting callused...I need to feel the needle and can't when there is something on my finger. I have tried many brands of needles to but always come back to Dritz Quilter Betweens and use anywhere from a 10 to a 7. I probably use the 8 and 9 most, I like the 7 for putting on the binding. And Flo is right about using a product like Thread Heaven....make it so much easier!!

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use