Seeing the quilt

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
Tiff posted on Wed, Jul 9 2014 5:34 AM

Hi All,

i am new to quilting and have only made 3 but have never done a clever pattern on the quilt when finishing it. I've only ever done straight lines etc... Can someone tell me how ppl do all those fancy patterns?

Thank you

Tiff

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 4:57 PM

hi Tiff, welcome to the group.I was crumby at doing straight lines so I started out of the gate with free motion.   practice practice practice.     get yourself a piece of paper and start drawing repetitive patterns like you might do on a quilt.   check out leah days blog, day style designs, and check out the inbox jaunt BlogSpot for ideas.  are you using your domestic machine or a long arm?  

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
Tiff replied on Wed, Jul 9 2014 10:45 PM

I'm that new to it all I've got no idea what you mean by a domestic machine or long arm lol...?

ive just been doing straight lines on my machine. So your telling me I have to freehand a design  haha I'm terrible at drawing :(

thanks for your reply :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,459 Posts
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 7:19 AM

Hi, These are my own definitions!

Domestic machine - your regular sewing machine that you use when sewing

Long Arm - a machine on a long table that has a very large throat space that sews very fast but only does a straight stitch...

Free Motion quilting - if you ever doodled in school on your folder covers(does this date me) or just scribbled on paper then you have the start to doing free motion...

Free motion actually means you drop the feed dogs and you - yourself - pull the quilt sandwich through the machine turning this way and that to draw on the quilt.  I love to write on my quilts with free motion - so I use cursive and write all over them - unless you are looking for words you don't notice and just think it is a nice design...

meandering is a free motion stitch that most start with - you start in one spot and just "meander" across the quilt - normally you do not go back over or cross lines - but there are no quilt police and unless you are entering your quilt in a judged show no one is going to say anything about how you have quilted it.

If I do straight line quilting on my quilts, I usually have to use a walking foot to keep it straight and keeps all the layers moving at the same speed.

If you are interested in learning how to do free motion, google Leah Day - she has classes at craftsy.com but she also teaches or did teach a new quilting stitch (free motion design) every day...

Good luck with your quilting and glad to see you hear at QCA.  

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
Tiff replied on Thu, Jul 10 2014 10:53 PM

I am using a domestic machine. Thank you for the definitions as I am only very new.

I am a terrible drawer, thought they may have been something you could buy to do it for you haha. I'm to scared to do it on one of my quilts after all that hard work.

thanks for you help :)

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:24 AM

free motion is easy, you just do loops or puzzle pieces.   I make a sandwich about 18 inches square with my fabric and batting and doodle on that.  it take a little while to learn how to time your needle speed and movement of the sandwich, but you'll pick it up fairly quickly.   where do you live, tiff?

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
Tiff replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:28 AM

Think I'm going to have to get someone to show me, I learn best that way.

I live in Australia, NSW :) 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:38 AM

oh darn, you are a little far away to pop into one of our retreats, or I would help you.   we have a member here that decided she was going to learn free motion.  when she started her work was a bit rocky, but she determined that she was going to work on it everyday.  within days you could see the improvement, her work within weeks was pretty doggone good.  it doesn't hurt to give it a try.  ask around if anyone has some scraps of batt you can practice with.  start with a new needle.  I use an 80/12 and 50 wt thread.  thread is very important.  I have found that aurifil is as trouble free a thread as you will find.   use the same thread for your bobbin.    you can get fancy and use different threads in the bobbin and needle, but to start it is easier to use the same thread.  your machine must have the ability to do free motion, check your manual.   that involves dropping the feed dogs.   you can also tape some stiff paper over the feed dogs to keep them from grabbing the fabric.   you will need some grippy gloves, garden glove with the plastic knobbies on them work,   they sell special quilting gloves, too.  we have a group here for free motion quilting that has some tips too.  I hope you jump in and give it a try.  I find it very relaxing.  you get in a rhythm and let your mind wander.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:41 AM

dup post

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 115
Tiff replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:42 AM

Wow, thank you so much for all the hints and tips.

I think I'm going to you tube this to get a bit of an idea.

Thank you for the link aswell, I am the same I don't have a worry in the world when I'm quilting that's why I love it so much.

Thank you again, much appreciated :)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:44 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39I5A3iyCtw

remember, quilting is not rocket science.  you can do this.  it takes a little practice, but you will get better

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:45 AM

you are very welcome, happy quilting

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,424 Posts
Points 415,964
gini replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:46 AM

dup post

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,459 Posts
Points 244,017
Thea replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 9:13 AM

Tiff, I have two really good friends over there in Austrailia - both quilters... One Scooter is a member - or was on here she is still on my facebook page - she does some really good work in quilting - I'll see if I can't get in touch with her and see if I can't connect the two of you!  She could show you some of the ropes in free motion quilting.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use