Top 10 Posters

"A Quilters Lumberyard" A Scrap Management System" TM Copyright

Page 11 of 16 (228 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 227 Replies | 22 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Diane Morgan:
I don't know how I am going to store the cut scraps.

Diane:  You are such a busy bee.  Just flitting from project to project, I can understand that throwing those scraps into the basket is the most effecient way for you to go!  Is there room in that basket for a shoe box?

I have found that it's become a habit for me to just take the second or two to cut a remaining scrap into the "Lumberyard"  sizes as I go.  But, I must admit there are times when I've cut the scraps and then just piled them on top of my "Lumberyard" boxes.  I'm thinking I need to put a shoe box under my cutting table!  LOL

Patty Mc

A bed without a quilt is like a sky without stars.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Fellow Quilters:

The "Constrasting Ladders" pattern is available at:

Log Cabin Quilts   Telephone # 928 344 3800  www.Logcabinquiltsyuma.com

Quilting Bee  Telephone # 928 726 3000  www.quiltingbeeaz.com

I don't see the pattern listed on their web sites.  The Log cabin web site needs some work, I'm thinking.

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Snowbird Quilter:

Diane Morgan:
I don't know how I am going to store the cut scraps.

Diane:  You are such a busy bee.  Just flitting from project to project, I can understand that throwing those scraps into the basket is the most effecient way for you to go!  Is there room in that basket for a shoe box?

I have found that it's become a habit for me to just take the second or two to cut a remaining scrap into the "Lumberyard"  sizes as I go.  But, I must admit there are times when I've cut the scraps and then just piled them on top of my "Lumberyard" boxes.  I'm thinking I need to put a shoe box under my cutting table!  LOL

Patty Mc

Patty~

So do you have boxes that the different sizes go into? That's what is hanging me up. I can cut the scraps as I finish a project but then I haven't come up with a clever idea to store them yet that's not a pain in the neck to get at. So I might just use zip lock bags and I could leave them in the basket. If I have to go looking for all these boxes and pull them out of a cabinet or a shelf, then I'll probably not do it. Maybe I'll try that.

North of Boston MA

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Diane Morgan:
So do you have boxes that the different sizes go into?

Diane:  There isn't a "dyed in the wool" system!  It's what works for you.  I use clear plastic boxes from JoAnn's that were designed to hold scrapbooking papers.  They have handles and travel well back and forth from a sew day or down south and home again.  I just stack 2 X 4's in one and in the other I stack 4 X 4's and 2 X 8's.

I have a stack of smaller clear plastic drawers, that I bought at Fred Meyer, that I put my kindling into.  Those are pieces that are less than 2 1/2 wide and of various lengths, that I use for string projects.  I also store my 2 1/2 strips in those.  Fat quarters go in another drawer, that came out of an old broken oak table!

Like I said a shoe box will hold a lot of 2 x 4's.

Hope this helps with your scrap management!

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Oct 13 2010 11:13 AM

Diane

I use gallon ziploc bags.  I bag for each size that I cut and then throw all the bags in a big basket under the cutting table.  I have found that this works great for me.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Thanks Nana:  That's a great idea!

Patty Mc

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,654
Points 82,429

Nana:

Diane

I use gallon ziploc bags.  I bag for each size that I cut and then throw all the bags in a big basket under the cutting table.  I have found that this works great for me.

That's what I was planning on doing. I should have known that's what you do..I do everything the way you do usually. I already have the gallon zip log bags out in the sunroom and the basket is under the cutting table already so now all I have to do is get the body out there and cut more. I already have some cut sitting on the cutting table.....just another project to get done.

North of Boston MA

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

I spent today cleaning up after finishing the Fan Sweatshirt Jacket.  I now have a bunch of "Lumberyard" pieces in the black and whites.  I also started saving pieces I'd cut for the cuffs to use as piano keys, (need a "Lumberyard" name for those) and realized that the kindling pieces can be used for piping!   So one more size for the scrap collection.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 9:24 AM

Patty

I have several bags of different size pieces that I have gotten cut.  However I still have a huge basket of just plain ole scraps.  It would take me a month to get it all cut down and sorted.  For some reason I just never manage to get to it.  I have gotten better about cutting scraps as I go though.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

I hear ya!  I brought down scraps that I had left over from years ago.  They are still in the scrap bins.  I was very surprised at the time I needed just to clean up from the sweatshirt.  So many odd ball sized pieces.

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I love quilters lumberyard....I am keeping control of the smaller scraps and it is amazing how many pieces you can get out of cut off borders and end of strips...I have quite a collection o them now..I still need to go into my scrap basket and cut some of them up...but I do that when I just feel like cutting...really is a great idea..and I don't have to "think" about cutting them...the size tells me what to cut them into...thank you for introducing this system!!! LOVE IT LOVE IT!!  I think I can become a lover of scraps..wow!! who would of thunk it??

Ontario, Canada

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Tue, Jan 4 2011 1:08 PM

Helly

I feel the same way.  I always saved the scraps because it felt wasteful to just throw them away but never knew what I was going to use them for.   Now with them cut into usable sizes I can whip out a scrappy quilt without even thinking about it.  So much fun and so useful.  I too am glad that Patty introduced this "system" to us.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,270
Points 35,195

Diane Morgan:
I have a confession to make. I wasn't saving scraps

I am making a string quilt out of scraps that are 1 inch by 7 inch,  The tails I cut off, little tiny pieces I will be making into confetti size and using to make confetti hearts. I don't throw pcs of batting away either, I use the smaller pcs to wipe off my wipe-off board or a transparency. I have been known to piece batting together as well   The quilt I am working on I call the Strings of my Heart because all the scraps are from the quilts I made last year.

With the cost of material going up, all of us will be saving and using scraps I think.

Granny M

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

Granny M:
I am making a string quilt out of scraps that are 1 inch by 7 inch,

Is it done yet?  Pictures soon?

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 0
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 964
Points 19,596

DOUBLE POST

Patty Mc  

Oregon & Arizona

• | Post Points: 0
Page 11 of 16 (228 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use