Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 72 of 185 (2767 items) « First ... < Previous 70 71 72 73 74 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,766 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,683
Points 248,707
Thea replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 7:51 PM

Agnes your quilt is beautiful... I have a couple pictures to share of my cardinals... they are so precious to me as my best friend no longer with us loved cardinals and her DH passed just a few weeks ago - so I named these two Andy and Lori...

I did do some cutting and pressing on the diagonal of the 3" black squares and may sew a few on my pieces to make some more of my flying geese...

I caught the female flying up to the top of my willow - I thought the camera caught this perfectly...

Here she is in her glory... then Mister Andy came to join her

She was waiting patiently - they then sang for me - together up above - I guess thanking me for having put the sprinkler on so they could get a bath...

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:01 PM

Agnes your lightening strikes is sooo pretty.  You do such nice work.  

Thea enjoying the pics of the cardinals I love watching the one we get early in summer.  I don't get many birds.  We did in the spring not sure what happened to them.  I had a small box turtle outside my sliding door about a month ago and didn't think to get the camera.  Thea I hope your pain gets better.  That is terrible to be in pain like that.

Joyce

Maryland

• | Post Points: 50
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 227
Points 3,640
Deb replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:12 PM

Agnes, your quilt is so lovely!!!

Thea, I love when you post pictures of nature !! Thanks for sharing! Hope your day went with less pain!!

Deb

🌺 You know you are a quilter when the only scraps under your table are fabric.🐾

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:14 PM

Here's my photos of flying things--a water bomber loading up water and one of bombing. They also did some quick loading by swooping down. Strictly a demonstration at the Norseman (northern or bush plane) Days, the community symbol and summer festival.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 608
Points 9,680
Joyce replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:17 PM

Agnes your photos are very interesting I've never seen the planes except in movies.  Thanks for sharing.

Joyce

Maryland

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:18 PM

weezee56:

Agnes Love both sides of lighting strikes twice. So glad you posted it, I see you use binder clips to hang it. I made a wall hanging but didn't make a hanger for it. I'll use your way and use the clips instead. You always make such pretty things.

Thanks, weezee, for your very kind words. If I make something that I know will hang at some point I like to add sleeves but when it is a throw or bed quilt my best pals for photo shoots are a dowel or curtain rod and some binder clips.  

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:22 PM

ls2116:

Agnes your so talented.  The fabric looks great.

I worked on my panel quilt last night.  It has a big heart in the middle thats preprinted .  Last year i was spending at least 8 hrs. a day sewing this year my time is spread thin.

Thanks, Is. The burgundy was fabric I was really glad to see the end of. Two six inch blocks ready to be finished as mug rugs and it is history.

I had really slacked back on my quilting. When I got involved in a 'finish in July' challenge I stepped up my daily quilting time big time. I just feel so much more alive that I am exercising my brain more.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:23 PM

Thea, thank you. Love your photos of the cardinals in action.

Joyce, Deb--Thank you very much for your kind comments.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 297
Points 4,855

Thea and Agnes, I love your photos! You are so accomplished with your cameras... it's hard to stop motion like that!

Agnes, your new wall hanging is very pretty and so wonderfully made!

Donna, I like your canning apron! I think you embellish everything! lol. Have a great vacation!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,683
Points 248,707
Thea replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 6:45 AM

Joyce thank you for the kind words about my pain - most days it is just there and I can live with it - every once in a while it truly intrudes and I fear it won't go away at all but it usually subsides - the neuro stimulator was such a wonderful gift to my body.  I thank the Lord for that man / woman who developed it to save those of us who have radiculapathy and those who have neuropathy I am sure say thank you too.

I am not sure why I am entralled so much with the critters and birds in my back yard but they do bring smiles to my face.  I flooded the area under my pecan tree so glad that the weather man said today again would be in the 100s... it will be like a sauna back there but I dare not sit in my chair for fear of sinking down... the ground is so dry though for feet not just inches down... I bought new grass seed that is supposed to need less water and so far it is coming up and we are hopeful... I want the lawn to look super lush when those photos are taken to put the house on the market - a simple thing I do for those who decide to buy my house.

I did sit at my sewing machine yesterday and sewed up all the 3" squares to the 5 1/2" squares to make the next group of flying geese... I am not even half way to my needed 114 but getting closer every day.  I cut the next long strip and cut it into 3" squares - when I get home from church today I will press them diagonally for the mark to sew 1 scant thread over from... 

Agnes - it would be awesome to live on the water and see the planes do that - another thing that would have me sitting in my chair in the sun soaking in the vitamin D and watching mesmerized.  I love your pictures also and love that I have a friend who has interests like mine.  That is so much fun to me.  

I love the women and the occasional man who dares to invade our quilting world.  Without this site I am not sure where I would be today, but I do thank Jodie for asking me to be a part of it when she got backing to start it.  I wish our interactive second city quilting school could have taken off but someday!  

I have been up for a couple hours now - fed the critters - still need to straighten up the kitchen but I have to do this to get my body capable of going to church - the days of me jumping out of bed and throwing on my clothes went out the window quite a few years ago - I miss them - but now I get up and slowly the body relaxes and the pains subside and I am able to go out and sit in the pews to listen to the talks.  I have to stay longer today as I need to get my temple recommend renewed so I have to do it during classes which I normally skip - but not today so hoping that they interview me early ... it is hard to explain how uncomfortable it is - I wonder if they would set up a lazy boy for me to put my legs up - then I could sit all day...:)  I can suffer the pain for the time I need and it is nice to see the members... I stopped over yesterday for the party celebrating the pioneers and realized that the membership has taken a definite change - I hardly knew anyone - we are a military ward so members are always changing - but a lot of the homeys seem to not be around... maybe they were all on vacation - I do not know... but the new faces were refreshing.

Well, I need to lean back and relax so this body wakes up and eases up so that I can get up and dress for church in about an hour... Have a wonderful Sunday to all... I will be hand binding dog park today while I watch the Indianapolis Nascar Race... Go Jeff!  Go Kyle!  Go Kasey!  

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 9:38 AM

Thanks to all that commented on the water bomber photos. I felt fortunate to see it at work in a demonstration and not because it ihad to put out fires.

Springermom--I love photography about as much as I love quilting. In photography the camera does the majority of the work so with the right camera. a telephoto lens, a finger on the shutter button and eye on the view finder it is amazing how good the photos can be. I had almost 60 shots in a short period of time. I also had a bird's eye view from the balcony. I will be keeping fewer than 10 of the shots I took. If I still had my little under $100 Kodak these shots would be lackluster in comparison.

In quilting more of the final result is dependent on the operator than the machine itself. This is proven by the following two photos. The first was my original wall hanging when I finished the cross stitch panel in 2002. The second is of my remake, finished yesterday. Same machine in both cases. I have just grown so much in the interim. I have finally found my comfort zone for free motion quilting. Picture quality is also much improved.The before was taken on an early 1990's 35 mm camera comparable to my 2014 digital. Both are Canon Rebels, slightly different models.

Before Lilies and Hummingbirds:

After, same batting, a thin poly, only fabric changed is the border and now has binding plus hours of free motion outline quilting of design and stippling in background.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,630
Points 52,280
Ginny replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 10:42 AM

Wow Agnes, I can see the difference in your  2 wall hangings.  I have not gotten any good at free motion quilting at all.    

I love your photos that you are taking.   Great work.       Ginny

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,890
Points 69,145
Bonita replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 10:59 AM

Agnes, love seeing your pictures, I would love to live on the water.  The first wall hanging is pretty but the second one is beautiful what a difference the quilting makes. Beautiful work as usual.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 1:34 PM

Thanks for the comments on the photos and my quilting projects. I thought I just had to post both versions because quilting does make a difference. Glad it is easy for people to see the difference. I didn't really put my heart into trying free motion quilting until 2009. I was so comfortable with the walking foot that I didn't feel pushed to give free motion the time required. Then the foot broke, plain worn out, and I was having real difficulty finding a replacement so I turned the FM foot and keep saying, I can get this mastered. It was not until this past month when I have virtually not stopped for anything else that I now feel comfortable with it. So let's say it took five years of practice to get to this point.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,599
Points 26,900
Debbie replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 2:51 PM

Ginny:

Wow Agnes, I can see the difference in your  2 wall hangings.  I have not gotten any good at free motion quilting at all.    

I love your photos that you are taking.   Great work.       Ginny

Agnes - Very WOW! WOW!  I have not attempted FMQ, haven't really done too much using walking foot.  I love to piece but quilting exasperastes me, too stressful but wil try again when I retire.  thanks for the inspirational input, makes me want to keep trying, knowing others have felt like I do.   

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Page 72 of 185 (2767 items) « First ... < Previous 70 71 72 73 74 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use