Top 10 Posters

Did you work on a quilt today #10

Page 32 of 188 (2812 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 2,811 Replies | 49 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

Donna the stockings are beautiful. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:42 PM

Thank you

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,900
Points 69,300
Bonita replied on Tue, Jun 24 2014 8:02 PM

Donna, your MQ turned out lovely, different but different makes us interesting.

Donna, love the stockings.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

Thanks Bonita. I guess that's what MQ's are all about. 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Thea, thank you for the additional caution on washing batting! I read the pkg and it says it will shrink slightly, then further down pkg, it says 5%.  If no shrinking is desired, it can be pre-soaked in the machine in tepid water. Shut it off after water fills, open batting and gently immerse. Let it soak 5-10 mins. Do Not Agitate, underlined. Spin excess water out. Dry on air or fluff cycle. So now, that makes me nervous. If not to agitate, how can it survive the spin cycle and tumbling in the dryer I wonder. Have to go back and find the comment from Agnes about washing batting. She gave some info of the way she does it that I need to go over again. Thanks again for your thoughts... would not want to end up with a blob of batting in one machine or another!! It wouldn't be the end of the world, but hate to learn the hard way! haha.      

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Mamag Donna... I was looking at your MQ again. Have thought it would make a very cute crib or youths' bed quilt... lots of color and pattern to catch a youngster's attention. Don't know how big it is, but just was a thought that came to me.   :)

Donna too... your Christmas stockings are so cute.. your family will love them!

My Sunshine doesn't come from the skies, It comes from the love in my dog's eyes.

-Unknown

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Tue, Jun 24 2014 10:49 PM

SpringerMom:

Thea, thank you for the additional caution on washing batting! I read the pkg and it says it will shrink slightly, then further down pkg, it says 5%.  If no shrinking is desired, it can be pre-soaked in the machine in tepid water. Shut it off after water fills, open batting and gently immerse. Let it soak 5-10 mins. Do Not Agitate, underlined. Spin excess water out. Dry on air or fluff cycle. So now, that makes me nervous. If not to agitate, how can it survive the spin cycle and tumbling in the dryer I wonder. Have to go back and find the comment from Agnes about washing batting. She gave some info of the way she does it that I need to go over again. Thanks again for your thoughts... would not want to end up with a blob of batting in one machine or another!! It wouldn't be the end of the world, but hate to learn the hard way! haha.      

The batting pieces I shrunk within the past two weeks I threw into a fabric laundry bag, the loosely woven type meant to haul your laundry around to laundromats in. I threw the bag into a HE top loading, the machine in my laundry room, on delicate and then dried on delicate in the dryer as well. I had noticed though I use exclusively Hobbs 80/20 it was not all equal. It was like some pieces were firmer than others. This did show up when dried, though not 100% dry, where the looser batting had matted in a place or two. The firmer was as firm as when it went in. Because my whole intent is to use these pieces strictly for wall hangings and table wear I have no problem cutting around the one or two matted sections. I will see tomorrow if i can get laundry time and throw in a queen size batting within the laundry bag. I just opened a package and it feels like it has the normal firmer finish.I think the problem pieces were probably a Mon morning or Fri afternoon run with the final step not finished.  I was previously shrinking just in the bathtub and hanging to dry and I found that didn't give me enough shrinkage. Be forewarned as the package says that with subsequent washing the batting will "tend to become softer." This softness creates loft and therefore lose some of the flat look. The only batting I have used in my 20 years plus of quilting that remained flat with repeated washing was 100% low loft polyester batting or whatever the manufacturer deemed to call it. Hope this epistle is helpful to you in some fashion.

Additional note: The reason I am going to go for the trial on the whole batting is that I have a number of quits with embroidery work in my future and I don't want the 5% shrinkage and puckering.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 298
Points 4,875

Agnes, thanks so much for your information. I'll be interested in the results of your washing of the large batting, since we use the same product. Hope it goes well.

-Unknown

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,246
Points 19,420
weezee56 replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 1:43 PM

Donna, your stocking are wonderful.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 3:15 PM

Donna--Your stockings are lovely. It's nice to see that they are ready well in advance.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 437
Points 11,330
Donna replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 7:47 PM

Thank you all

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,346
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 9:27 PM

SpringerMom:

Agnes, thanks so much for your information. I'll be interested in the results of your washing of the large batting, since we use the same product. Hope it goes well.

The batting is washed and dried. I stepped up the punishment and washed it on rapid wash, med agitation, water temp and spin. It was a solid lump when I pulled out the bag with the queen batting inside. I pulled it out of the bag and gently pulled it apart. Of the entire batting there was only one very small area that had matted to another part. I gently pulled it apart and had the full size batting opened up to go in the dryer. It came through great there as well. I will definitely be washing more batting. Not sure of the % of shrinkage as I didn't think to measure the before and after. I will be opening another batting shortly so I will lay the washed on the unwashed.

Irregardless of what you do I would suggest trying with a few smaller pieces to see how your machine deals with it. The shrinkage method on the bags is definitely geared for the original agitator auto washers. HE washers and dryers certainly act totally different.

Agnes in NW Ontario

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,246
Points 19,420
weezee56 replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 9:36 PM

I finished the hole in the wall.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,934
Points 125,235

Weezee, your hole in the wall quilt is beautiful

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,443
Points 127,624

Love it Weezee, beautiful.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Page 32 of 188 (2812 items) « First ... < Previous 30 31 32 33 34 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use