Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 37 Replies | 9 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Sat, May 31 2014 8:25 PM

Ok ladies, the next installment of the Northern trek to Alaska is posted on my blog,   http://nanassewingshoppe.blogspot.com/   

We've gotten to Great Falls, MT today, but I've uploaded all the pics from yesterday at Garryowen, MT, the area of Custer's last stand and the battle of the Little Big Horn.  We drove from Lubbock to Colorado Springs, long days of driving, 10 hours.  Stayed at the USAF Academy there, then drove another 10 hour day to Garryowen.  Enjoyed our day yesterday learning a bit of history, the culture and just relaxing for a day.  

Ran into a friend from San Antonio, while visiting the NP at Little Big Horn, what a small world!! Today, drove further north in MT, and staying at Malstrom AFB in Great Falls, MT.  Ran into another couple this am that are also heading to Alaska, we may travel a bit of the way together, seems they are heading the same route as we are so far.  Many more here in Malstrom are heading to Alaska.  They seem to all be on one aisle and most are heading out either tomorrow or the next day.  Met several couples that seem to be going the same route.  Didn't know so many would be heading North!!   

If you have time to check out my blog, all the pics are located there as that site allows the pics to upload pretty quickly. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 0
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,792
Points 30,535
Debbie replied on Sat, May 31 2014 8:46 PM

Michelle, we just returned from Denver and Pueblo,  CO.  Left last Sat and drove north thru KS and into Denver then went to Puebo, DMIL and DSIL, spend Thur nite and got home yesterday, coming thru Amarillo. about 1200 miles round trip.  Beatuiful weather everyday. 

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 0
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Points 135
Chippy66 replied on Wed, Jun 25 2014 6:37 PM

Michelle,

My hubby and I are planning a vacation to Alaska in August. We will be driving from Seattle to Anchorage. I wondered if you might have any ideas for a quilt pattern that I can use as a memory of this trip. I would like to gather material from different quilt shops as we drive.

Thanks,

Sue

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 889
Points 17,760
Sue replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 9:28 PM

Hi Sue,

Another Sue here.  I'm in Alaska now, been here for a few weeks now.  I've been collecting fabrics as we travel too. I plan on making a memory quilt when I get back to Texas in the Fall.  No real pattern planned, but I will look at what I've acquired and decided on maybe something like a crazy quilt with large squares instead of really crazy.  We are sitting outside the Clear Sky Lodge now which is just of Denali by about 50 miles or so.  Just had a wonderful fish dinner.  Last night we had their 8 oz steak and it was to die for!

Hope you and your hubby have a great time here too.  We plan on returning to the lower 48 thru BC into Washington state and on down to Calif.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 11:25 PM

Sue,

We have been in Alaska for a few weeks now also.  I have been to a few quilt shops now in Fairbanks and hoping to hit one tomorrow in Denali.  I found some wonderful animal prints in Fairbanks at Material Girls Quilt shop, which was a wonderful shop.  The other shop in town is Northern Threads, the material wasn't anything that I couldn't get in the lower 48, but they did have a wonderful quilt pattern that was applique with each block having a different block pattern.  Each depicting a different animal or scene specific to Alaska.  I have tried to add a pic to this email, but alas the QCA is being difficult tonight or our internet is not strong enough.  I will try again either later or tomorrow.  

I am not sure of the pattern that I will use yet for the animal prints.  The Material Girls also had a kit that they called "Alaska Photoshop" with a pattern, all the material cut out, ect, but I didn't want to spend another $90.  

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Thu, Jun 26 2014 11:32 PM

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,337
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 7:29 AM

Michelle - those are some awesome fabrics.  I would love some of those for the quilts my son wants me to make for him.  I am collecting wild animal fabrics and those as I said are awesome.

Hope you are having fun on your trip!  One of these days when DH and I are settled up in MN we are going to load our RV up and go on the road and just travel for a while... I think that would be so much fun!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,169
Points 387,692
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 9:25 AM

Sue and Michelle: did either of you experience the big earthquake this week? When I saw the news I thought of you both.

Nice selection of fabrics Michelle.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:07 AM

Michelle B

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 10:15 AM

We didn't feel any of the earthquake. We were up in Fairbanks and I think it was down near Anchorage ? I finally got the pic posted on the quilt pattern I got at Northern Threads in Fairbanks. I'm very pleased with it and will pick my own fabrics for it. 

Stil not sure of the pattern for the other material yet but will keep an eye out for something. 

The blog with many more pics and what we're been doing is updated today as it is raining pretty good this am. We are headed to see the dog sled teams in Denali today and see the National park tomorrow all day. 

Blog addres is:  http://nanassewingshoppe.blogspot.com. 

Hope you enjoy reading it!  I'm having a ball writing it daily. 

Michelle B

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,446
Points 127,674

I am very much enjoying your adventure Michelle and thank you for the pictures; it looks like you have a couple of winter projects ahead of you.

Life is like a quilt...bits & pieces, joy & sorrow, stitched with love

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,169
Points 387,692
Kris replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 1:40 PM

Thanks for sharing Michelle.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 889
Points 17,760
Sue replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 2:32 PM

Hi Michelle,

You've caught up and passed us!  We are currently camped at Denali Motel & RV park, doing laundry today, and a good day to do it since it is raining and cold and windy to boot!   We go into Denali Park tomorrow, camping at Tek... for 4 nites then down to Riley for 5 nites.  Call me, maybe we can finally have a face to face.

The only earthquake we felt was while we were in Skagway a few weeks back.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 713
Points 13,505
Michelle replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 2:47 PM

Sue, we're in th same rv park. We're in A-11. Rv site. I don't have ur number. We're at the visitor center this noon and hoping to see the dog sled demo at 2 then shopping in that little center then back to RV. Message me ur number. I think I emailed u our number before but will message you with it. 

Michelle B

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 14,247
Points 254,337
Thea replied on Fri, Jun 27 2014 8:11 PM

Michelle:

Michelle - I am making that quilt - I have all my blocks done - just need to do the satin stitching around the applique's - it is a gift for DH that I started last year - I got sick with my neck right after I got the blocks done so it got put away till I was better - I hope to finish it up here shortly - isn't it an awesome quilt - did you make this?

Page 2 of 3 (38 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.