Top 10 Posters

I'm a couple days new, just found this thread.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975
Mamagshouse Donna Gilliam Posted: Sun, Apr 13 2014 12:51 PM

Great to be part of this club. Once the web glitch gets fixed I can add my bio.  But I am a 48 year old mother of six.  His mine and our family.  I gave birth to five of them and I cheated a bit cause I had a set of identical twin boys who are now 14.  I was born and grew up in Bellmore, Long Island, NY. Then moved to Redondo Beach, Ca when I was 24 and my first born girl was only 3 months old.  From there we moved to Yorba Linda, Ca.  I liked it there but then we had to move to  Atlanta, Ga and had baby boy.  Lived there for 11 years.  After the twins were born in 2000 my husband at the time couldn't handle it so we divorced.  I met and married a Cowboy who had a 5 year old girl and after 9-11 I found out that I was pregnant with another girl.  We then moved to Venice, FL and lived there for 12 years.  We moved last July to Saratoga Springs, Utah but my twins decided to live with their dad:(  So only my 11 year old girl is left at home.  My oldest is married and has a 9 month old girl and she is due with her second child in August which is a boy.  My oldest son and step daughter are away at college.  Last April my Lupus flared up again and I have chronic migraines which led to depression so I filed for disability after 30 years of being in the workforce.  (I'm still waiting for them to approve my claim) To help with my depression I started getting back to my love of all the needle arts I had learned from my grandmother.  I truly have a passion for all of them this way I don't get bored and can mix it up.  I don't have a favorite but my crochet quilts are what I am requested to make a lot of. 

• | Post Points: 65
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 875
Points 15,030

Welcome again! You already see how many caring and wonderfully talented people there are here! All are willing to be your friends, and share with what ever you  want to!! Hope to see you active in the forums, and join in our swaps also!  Great fun!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 2:11 PM

Welcome again! Thanks for introducing yourself.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,544
Points 417,019
gini replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 8:38 PM

What a busy life you've had.  I look forward to getting to know you

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

Nice meeting you mamagshouse. 

You do have a large family and you moved around  a lot.  I only moved three times since 1969.  I moved with my husband  and three kids  from Berlin Germany to Ft Myers, Fl  in 1969.  We left Berlin due to the unhealthy apartment we lived in and we couldn't find a better one.  Housing was government regulated and one of our kids had a bad allergy to the mold in that apartment.  My sister had married an American and we followed her.  In 1975 we moved  close to Tallahassee Fl.  That was a good move, because the kids could attend FSU and FAMU while living at home. One son teaches now English to 7th graders, next son  is a software engineer, he was a guest professor at FAMU for several years and our youngest is a veterinarian in Jacksonville, Fl.. 

I'm  sorry to hear that you're not well and I hope that you will get to feel better.  I can attest that needle work can be a mood lifter and good therapy to overcome physical discomfort. 

I hemorrhaged after giving birth to our youngest and I had almost 8 liter whole blood transfused.  6 month later I was cleaning a mattress, using the cleaner I had always used and my hands broke out in blisters, they were raw. I went to the doctor and he told me that I had an allergic reaction. I was 24 and I asked him what an allergy is.   I have learned all about allergies since then.  I had allergy shots for  "normal" allergies and they worked wonders.  There is no treatment available for allergies to manmade chemicals.   There is only avoidance and that's almost impossible.    I can't even take hand quilting classes, because most people wear scents and I'm allergic to those, since they're made from manmade chemicals.  But I found a kind lady at the Bernina Store in Tallahassee and she has offered to teach me.  I'm so looking forward to that.  I want to share the picture of a table runner I made from a kit.  It's a true mood lifter for me. 

Marianne

I used to crochet a lot, but I had to quit due to my allergy to the seizing on the cotton thread I used to do filet crochet.  I have now learned that I'm also allergic to the seizing on fabric and

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,703
Points 179,728
Marie replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 9:52 AM

Marianne, your bunny table runner is sooo cute!  Nice job!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,649
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Mon, Apr 14 2014 10:41 AM

I agree with Marie that your table runner is very, very cute, Marianne.    Ginny

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

Marianne - That is such a darling table runner.  Absolutely gorgeous. 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 941
Points 15,975

Marianne - You need to post it on the Show and Tell board.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

I want to thank all of you for your compliments.  I couldn't help smiling when I made that Easter table runner.  I bought that kit  from connecting threads.  We're retired and can't  afford expensive kits or fabric.

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 310
Points 4,690

I tried to post the table runner, but there are confusing directions.  I will have to ask my computer geek son when he comes for a visit next.  They all come over for Easter breakfast because I'm baking my traditional Easter bread.  I braid the bread and form a wreath or a place for the boiled and colored eggs in the middle. Thanks again fro the help and advise.

Marianne

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use