Top 10 Posters

cutting machines

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
6 Posts
Points 225
arleenszcz posted on Thu, Apr 3 2014 10:24 AM

At 72, it's time for me to use a cutting machine to cut my fabrics for quilting, general sewing, crafts.  can any member recommend what would be a good cutting machine.

Thanks so much.

• | Post Points: 80

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 595
tish replied on Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:59 PM
This is a good question. There are so many different ones for sale now. I bought an Accuqilt Go and some dies but have not had a chance to use it yet. After I invested in all of it, I realized I should have researched because I did not realize there are so many different cutting machines. I also use a rotary cutting ruler that I just love. Fiskers stopped making them but I've seen they are back in some stores. Its 24" long and has the rotary blade attached to it (like those paper cutters), easy to use....and safe. You might want to check that out. There is a Donna Dewberry one too, but I really didn't like it and gave it away.
  • | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 595
tish replied on Thu, Apr 3 2014 9:59 PM
This is a good question. There are so many different ones for sale now. I bought an Accuqilt Go and some dies but have not had a chance to use it yet. After I invested in all of it, I realized I should have researched because I did not realize there are so many different cutting machines. I also use a rotary cutting ruler that I just love. Fiskers stopped making them but I've seen they are back in some stores. Its 24" long and has the rotary blade attached to it (like those paper cutters), easy to use....and safe. You might want to check that out. There is a Donna Dewberry one too, but I really didn't like it and gave it away. tish
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,019 Posts
Points 15,545

HI Arleenszcz, I bought an accuquilt and several dies. I have only used it a few times so far, but what I have cut was very nice and fast. I have a problem with my ruler not staying where I want it to.

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 340

Hello arleenszcz,

I have and regularly use an AccuquiltGo.  I was skeptical when i first got it (I received it as a gift) because not all the dies are very economically designed - i.e. the shapes are spaced in such a way that you waste fabric. But, if you stick to the geometric shapes and strips, you can find dies that have multiple triangles or squares arranged so there is next to no wastage. My experience with it has been that it is faster than using a rotary cutter and much, much more accurate. It can cut up to 6 layers of fabric at a time; I can turn out 100 charms in about 10 minutes. The cut pieces are all uniform and makes for a much, much more uniform quilt. On some dies, they dog-ear the corners and that cuts down on bulk in the finished product which I really appreciate when I machine quilt it.

The downside is the cost. The machine itself is expensive and so are the dies. I watch the sale papers at Joann's like a hawk and subscribe to the Accuquilt mailing list so I know when there are sales.  Another possible downside is you do still have to use a rotary cutter to cut the fabric down to fit on the dies.  This part I don't mind so much. I measure the die cutting area and then calculate how much fabric to fan-fold over the shape which really cuts down on wasting fabric.

Overall, I like the Accuquilt because I feel it saves me fabric and time. I am rather clumsy so, unfortunately, I have the tendency to make a mistake on one in four strips cut on a rotary mat. 

Hope this helps you.

Kind regards,

Melissa

Top 100 Contributor
Female
690 Posts
Points 10,750

I have the Brother Scan & Cut.  Once you get the hang of it there is nothing you can't cut on it.  It makes fussy cutting a breeze cause you just scan the fabric the outline the area you want to fussy cut.  Stick the material back in and it cuts it out for you.  I'm 49 and arthritis so cutting fabric can be a challenge for me.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use