That elusive 1/4"

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 190
Ldyj posted on Sat, Mar 22 2014 6:27 PM

Hi, my name is Jeannette ("J") and I'm a new quilter. I started late last summer and have progressed to my first child's quilt top (pieced, but still have to add the border, quilt and bind.) I'm having a problem with my 1/4" seam. I have a 1/4" foot, I've marked my machine at the 1/4" mark, I watch that I'm sewing to both the guides and the top seam always comes out 1/4"! Good, right!!?? Yes, but then when I look at the bottom seam, it's shifted sometimes to less than 1/8" (or what I call "barely a seam at all.") I had a friend suggest that I ensure that I have the same thread in the bobbin as I do in the needle, so I did. I also tightened down the pressure on the foot a bit. But it's still happening. I'm using a 1969 Singer Featherweight (my "Baby"). Any idea how I can overcome this. I do pin, I thought adaquetly. Thanks for helping a newbie!

J

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
617 Posts
Points 10,685
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 10:07 PM

Welcome, I am not going to be as helpful as I know some will, but I want to suggest that you find a shop or group of quilters close by so that you can show them what your dealing with. This is hard for me to picture, but maybe not for others on here. 

I hope you will stick around here, I have really enjoyed the people on this board, and made several friends. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
119 Posts
Points 1,830

Have you asked anyone else to seam two pieces together with a 1/4 inch seam?  If the same thing happens to them, it may be the feed dogs sliding the bottom fabric...

stitcheraz

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 190
Ldyj replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 10:35 PM

I hadn't thought about that stitcheraz! I'll be taking my Baby to guild on Monday - I'll have one of the ladies there sew a couple swatches together and then we can check it out! Thanks!!

J

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 190
Ldyj replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 10:35 PM

I hadn't thought about that stitcheraz! I'll be taking my Baby to guild on Monday - I'll have one of the ladies there sew a couple swatches together and then we can check it out! Thanks!!

J

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 190
Ldyj replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 10:42 PM

Thanks, Zoe. I'm will take Baby to guild on Monday. Several of the women there own Featherweights and maybe one of them will be able to determine what's going on. I sure plan on sticking around :)

J

Top 150 Contributor
Female
682 Posts
Points 13,000

Ldyj,  my husband repairs and refurbishes Featherweights. I just asked him and he said it sounds like the feed dogs are out of alignment.  They may be just a slight bit cocked sideways and that is pulling the bottom material.  He said if that is the problem, it is best to have someone close to you look at it for repair.  Or if you want to call him, he can try to talk you thru repairing it yourself.  Just PM me and I'll send you his cell phone.  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Not Ranked
Female
11 Posts
Points 190
Ldyj replied on Sun, Mar 23 2014 9:40 PM

Thank you so much, Michelle! I purchased the Featherweight at the Tucson Quilt Show  from a guy that lives about 30 miles from me. He also refurbishes the machines. I'll give him a call and see if I can stop by and have him take on look when I go to Tucson on Wednesday. Thank your husband too! 

J

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,559 Posts
Points 23,645
Susie replied on Mon, Apr 7 2014 9:51 AM

This is probably a silly addition, but do you pin your squares?  If you are having issues, even if it's your machine, if you pin the squares, it will hold the fabric in place while you stitch.  The dogs may pull in a bit lopsided, but the pins will force the top to move along with the bottom fabric.  Pin every 2" to test it.

Chicagoland, Illinois

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use