MemoryQuilts

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 40
swindell123 Posted: Sun, Mar 16 2014 1:31 PM

I am wanting to make memory quilts and the freezer paper and cotton fabric technique is new to me  How much better is doing that than just buying the photo paper in the store?  It seems as if the picture is clearer when you print on cotton fabric.  Can Kona cotton be used to print photos? 

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 28
Points 450
BarbC replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 10:15 PM

Hi -

I have used the freezer paper method and had success with black ink but not color  (not colorfast).  My neighbor has tried this method and it was not good for her printer.  I have also used the June Tailor product - it works beautifully for colors - the disadvantage was I found it to be a bit stiff but the colors were great.  Any fabric can be used to print photos, though I would stick to the prepared for dying (PFD) fabrics.  I haven't tried the Bubble Jet product (not a big fan of chemicals).  The important thing is to heat set and test the printing.  You don't want to do a whole quilt only to find it wash out (or fade to green) the first time it touches water.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,163
Points 387,647
Kris replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 12:46 AM

I made a photo quilt with white know cotton treated with bubble jet set then rinsed with bubble jet rinse. It was much cheaper than the printer sheets. The quilt still looks great after five years and it has been washed more than once.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 866
Points 14,840
zoetc49 replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 2:14 AM

I did one with the printed fabric sheets you buy. I often took advantage of coupons for this, and I think Micheals was the cheapest at the time. I did mine is the old time brown look and when I was one I sprayed each picture with water resistant spray. This was not going to be washed much, but I did tell the person that this should be done again if it gets washed much, really helped keep the ink in good shape.  This might have been over kill, but I wanted to make sure it did not fade. 

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2015 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.