Top 10 Posters

need ideas or pattern to use different butterfly fabric

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 27 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 155
quilterbarbara posted on Sun, Mar 16 2014 10:42 AM

I collect fabric that has butterflies on it. Lots of fabric with different colors.  Also varying scales of patterns. I would like to make a quilt using them.  Does anyone have any ideas on what pattern to use?

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 20

I am also collecting butterflies and just recently opened that drawer and can't figure out how to use them.  Hopefully, we will both get some good replies from your question.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,402 Posts
Points 119,641
Patti replied on Mon, Mar 17 2014 4:31 AM

I have one with large butterflies, very distinct pattern.  This one I plan to use in a stack and whack quilt.  I have also seen where the butterflies are in an oriental fabric which are sometimes very good for fractures.  you can google both stack and whack quilt photos and fractures quilt photos  to see some examples of these techniques.  If you post a photo of your butterfly fabric, it might be easier to give you some ideas.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:42 PM

I have a pattern by Lisa Moore called, " I spy Sitka with a twist."  I purchased it at the quilt shop in Sitka, Alaska along with some fabric printed just for that shop.  I can email you a pic of the quilt if you would like.  I can't post here yet, but I hope to one day.  Send me a private message with your email address and i can send you the pic.  

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

If you want somewhat simple and you have large print butterfly fabric, how about BQ or BQ2.?   I have done that pattern a few time, with orientals and the Texas flag.  They came out great and will showcase your fabrics.  Just a thought! I hope you show us what ever is decided!   

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
736 Posts
Points 18,435

What is BQ and BQ2?  I have lots of butterfly fabrics, but they are mainly fat quarters received through swaps, so anything I do with them would be very scrappy.  I thought of maybe making a simple disappearing nine patch with the showier prints in the corners, so they don't get cut up. 

Brigit-Carol

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Here is a picture of the BQ.  There are different variations in the pattern. Great for large scale prints you don't want to cut up.  Different sizes in the pattern also.  I have two of these patterns if you like it, You could have one if you like.  It is an easy pattern, can be made fairly quickly and still look quite dramatic! 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

If you put BQ or BQ 2 in your search engine. All the images will pop up. I see there is a BQ3 now. I will gave to look into that. I love these because they are so simple,   But with different fabric choices can look so different. I will look thru my photos and post a few I have done! I have one I made on my King size bed right now!  

MODESTO, CA.
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 155

Thank you for the suggestion of BQ.  I found a lot of them on the internet and I like them and think the pattern will work.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

You are welcome! Hope you post photos if you do make a quilt!  Here are three that I made. The last is a king size that still needs binding!  Love this simple pattern!

MODESTO, CA.
  • | Post Points: 65
Top 500 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,440
hhhdmh replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 1:47 PM

Where does the pattern come from? Thanks

God Bless

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

These patterns  can be found at any Quilt shop, or online at eBay or at an online quilt shop.  Just google and  they will pop up!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
3,649 Posts
Points 52,690
Ginny replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 4:44 PM

Candis,  I love your BQ  quilts.  Each of them are beautiful on their own and look so different.   Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Female
875 Posts
Points 15,030

Thank you Ginny, just wanted to show how different they can be with different fabrics.  Thanks so much!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,902 Posts
Points 69,325
Bonita replied on Sat, Mar 22 2014 7:59 PM

Candis, all three are beautiful, but I'm liking #3 the best.

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use