Top 10 Posters

I bought a can of spray starch, and am wondering...Do you use starch?

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 2,005
Donna C replied on Sun, Apr 20 2014 5:51 PM

Thanks to all for the pointer regarding spray starch!  I do prewash fabrics that I think might shrink, especially since I use a variety of different fabrics when I do crazy quilting.  It would not be funny to go to all the work, and have one fabric of many shrink when the whole project is washed!  However, if all of the fabric is cotton, if it shrinks, it would probably all shrink uniformly.  Cotton is known to shrink, by the way, unless you buy prewashed cotton.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

I used to prewash all my fabric. Now the only fabric I pre was is if I'm doing garments. I do not pre wash anything now, whether it's flannel, cotton or anything else. I use Mary Ellenn's Best Press spray. It's very light but it works great. I have not had any problems with flannel, cotton or a mix. I always wash my quilts when they are finished with 3 or 4 color catchers. Maybe it's where I live, but I have not had any problems with moths either.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 782
Points 12,635

I ditto what Melissa does works for me also.  Love the Best Press.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 81
Points 2,005
Donna C replied on Mon, Apr 21 2014 9:01 PM

Yeah, pre-washing may not be necessary, unless you use wool.  My mom made a quilt one time and didn't prewash a piece of wool she included, and when it was washed that one piece shrunk to about half it's original size!  Thank goodness it was just a simple "scrap" pieced quilt top, with no batting, just lining, and no real quilting done after the lining was sewn on.  We used it for years only for picnics, and now my daughter's using it.  Nothing goes to waste here!  :)

You won't have moth problems either if you live in a dry climate or keep the humidity in your house down with AC and heating.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 5
Kelly J replied on Tue, Apr 22 2014 6:57 AM

I am with you. I to do not pre wash anyhting.  I use the Mary Ellen spray starch as well on all my fabrics before I iron them, which makes them a lot easier to cut.  

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use