Autograph quilt - I need advice

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355
LearningDayByDay posted on Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:17 PM

Hi,

I want to make an autograph quilt for a friend of mine and the people that will be signing this live in various places all over the country.  There is no way we will all be together so I need to do everything via mail.  My main concern is the ink.  First of all is there a specific kind of ink that should be used and if so what is the best?  And secondly, would it be really rude of me to tell/ask everyone to buy a particular pen that they may have to go out of their way to buy and possibly may not even be able to find and then it may be a little costly for something they aren't gong to use again?  I thought of buying enough pens to send to everyone but then that is going to cost me a lot (we're taking about 75 or more signature squares) plus the postage to mail the pen rather than just a fabric square.

Other questions that are crossing my mind

How do I treat the squares so the colors don't wash out?

Can  I buy precut  plain colored squares that would be suitable for this project?  That would make my life a lot easier!

Ellie

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,218 Posts
Points 16,395

Ellie, I made a prayer quilt for my friend going through breast cancer surgery. It was given to her by all her coworkers, 50 people signed the quilt with black fabric pen. She has had it almost 2 years on her bed and has used and washed it . It has held up so far no fading blocks or running ink. I used quality LQS fabric . As for your dilemma, if everyone is in agreement you can supply the pen and it can be passed around with the quilt and all they would have to pay for was postage to the next person on the mailing list until it gets back to you. Depending on the size it may be possible to send it priority mail for 10.00 or less . Any way you do it, its going to eventually cost a lot of money  to mail to 75 people. Can you just put their names on each block  and explain why you had to do it that way. Also, the" wear and tear of all that mailing may damage the quilt."  What if it gets lost?That would be my big concern if it were my quilt .    Hope this helps. I would like to see a pic when its all done.   Susan

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,218 Posts
Points 16,395

Ellie, Sorry, I just realized you want to send a individual square to every one and they will all need their own pens. Only way to know is ask them .  Joann,s with a discount coupon will be one way. I got mine at Walmart in the fabric dept. for $5 or so dollars. I would think a reg stamped envelope would be the cheapest as you could fold the square flat and small.   I used Sharpie permanent fabric marker on my prayer quilt .   I would think it should not cost more than 5 or 6 dollars.   Susan

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Hi Susan,  Thank you for your reply!  I probably didn't explain the situation very well.  I plan to send squares only to the 75 or so people.  They will write a couple of words and sign their name and then send the square back to me.  Once all the squares are returned to me I will put the quilt together.  So I'm trying to figure out how to do this without buying and sending 75 pens with the squares.

Top 500 Contributor
131 Posts
Points 2,010

Another possibility is to send the squares, with seam lines in pencil to avoid people writing into the seams...and have them put their message in pencil.  You can do the inking once the squares are back to you.  I did a quilt with students where they wrote the information in pencil, and then they backstitched with embroidery floss on the pencil lines.  You doing the embroidery for 75 blocks would be a lot of work, but you doing the inking would save lots of potential hassle mailing a pen or pens to 75 people... Good luck with your project.

stitcheraz

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 450
BarbC replied on Fri, Mar 14 2014 5:29 AM

Hi Ellie,

If I was going to do a project like this, I would just have each person send me their notes and signature on plain white paper.  Then I would scan them into my PC, size them for the fabric block and print them directly onto the fabric.  Most black inks are colorfast if heat set (my color inks aren't colorfast without specialty cloth which I find too stiff).    This eliminates the costs and hassles of trying to send pens and fabrics all around the country.

Barb

Top 150 Contributor
Female
693 Posts
Points 13,210

I did a birthday quilt for my mother's 80th birthday. I ask many of her friends and family to send me birthday wishes on paper or by email.  Then i just printed on fabric and made these into the blocks for the quilt.  Worked perfect.  No hassles, just reminders to everyone to send to me. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Thank you for your replies everyone.  I may ask people to sign in pencil and send to me and then I will over write with ink.  Is there a certin kind of pen I should use?  Can anyone tell me how to "heat treat" so things don't disappear when washing?

Thanks, Ellie

Not Ranked
35 Posts
Points 1,355

Thank you for your replies everyone.  I may ask people to sign in pencil and send to me and then I will over write with ink.  Is there a certin kind of pen I should use?  Can anyone tell me how to "heat treat" so things don't disappear when washing?

Thanks, Ellie

Not Ranked
Female
28 Posts
Points 450
BarbC replied on Tue, Mar 18 2014 8:57 PM

Hi Ellie, To heat set the ink, first ensure it is dry.  For my computer ink, I usually wait 10-15 minutes after printing.  Then it is a simple matter of pressing (not ironing) the fabric for a minimum of two minutes.  I will sometimes put a pressing cloth over the ink but if you are sure it is dry, you don't have to do this.  Some people recommend a second pressing after the first has cooled but I have not needed it to set my ink.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use