Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 160
segasal Posted: Mon, Mar 3 2014 3:43 PM

Hi All,  I am Susan Elizabeth, I am married to a wonderful man who spoils me rotten.  I have 3 kids, My daughter is 22, My 1st son is 19 and the baby will be 14 next week.  I have one grandson who is 6 months old, and is my pride and joy.  I have been quilting since I was 17.  I make mostly baby quilts as gifts.  I have done t-shirt quilts but they are not my favorite.  Quilting is my passion since I retired 4 years ago,  I am legally blind and I have a service dog named Meadow, he is a my cute side kick as I call him.  I live in the frozen tundra of Wisconsin at the moment.  I cannot wait to have winter end.   

• | Post Points: 35
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Nice meeting you Susan and welcome.  I've joined last August.  I started to quilt last year.  I'm also married and our kids are grown up, the youngest will be 48 this year. We have 6 grandkids.  I once posted 7 grandkids, but it was a typo.    The letters in here are very small and my arms seem to be a bit short? 

I'm sorry to read about your vision problems. I have lost my peripheral vision at age 23.   Half of me waked into door frames at first and that was no fun.  But that didn't last long.

We have two dogs, one German Shepherd and one mini Poodle.  I live in N Florida, close to Tallahassee and the GA state line.  It's not really all that warm here right now, but it's not frozen. 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 160
segasal replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 6:50 AM

Marianne,

Thanks for introducing yourself, it is always great to meet others who quilt.  I was born with no peripheral vision but was not told what I had until age 30, which was RP(retinis pigmentosa)  and I stopped driving at age 40. When my kids when they lived here  hated the words quitl shop or joann's I do not go much to hobby lobby, they have nice fabrics but they are way over priced.   I do not let it stop me from doing anything.  Having Meadow by my side has changed my life that is for sure. and having a supportive family and friends helps a lot.  

I hear you able walking into door jams I do that one alot on certain days, usually when I am tired or in a hurry.  It sucks.

Susan

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Susan,

I'm glad that you have a supportive family.  that helps.  What breed is Meadow? 

Susan,  had a blood clod during surgery, that caused my vision problems and I had to learn how to walk again.  That didn't stop me, but  I have to pay attention walking, because  I have tripped and fallen many times.  That sucks big time.  Allergies to man made chemicals are putting the breaks on many of my  previous activities.  There is no know treatment for it...yet.    I wear a odor filtering mask when I go shopping, but that makes breathing harder and it's no fun.  

I do shop at Hobby Lobby, because the store is very well ventilated.  Jo Ann's store in Tallahassee isn't.    I purchase most of my material on line from Connecting threads.  They are reasonable.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 160
segasal replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 4:57 PM

Meadow is an English Yellow lab.  He is amazing to say the least.  I am sorry to hear about all of your health issues.  

Have you thought about getting a dog to help stabilize you as you walk.  They do have mobility dogs.  

Susan

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 9:48 PM

Welcome Susan, glad you joined us.  We love to see pics so hope you can post some soon.  I'm from the Boston, MA area but I escaped their winter by coming to FL, much milder here.  Will be returning to my home the 2nd of April and hope the snow is all gone by then.

Millbury, MA

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Susan,

I do have one German Shepherd, but to go shopping I use a cane or my Yougo.  That's a chair with wheels, handles, brakes and it folds flat.  It also has pockets for coupons  and my mask ect.   I'm 71  and I survived a stroke and cancer twice.   I'm sorry if I complained.  Complaining only makes the devil happy.  I will talk about sewing or my DH from now on. 

Marianne

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Susan,

I do have one German Shepherd, she is an old lady.   To go shopping I use a cane or my Yougo.  That is a chair with wheels, handles, brakes and lots of pockets for my coupons, face mask etc   I should not have complained, since most people have health problems.  I have survived a stroke at 23 and I have survived cancer twice.  Complaining only makes the devil happy and from now on I will only talk about my DH, my dogs, my grandkids and quilting.

Marianne

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Marie,

Welcome to Florida.  Where are you staying in the Sunshine state?   We didn't see any sun the last two days up here in the Big Bend.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 160
segasal replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 7:05 PM

No you were not complaining. Not at all....

I will post some pics as soon and I can..right now I am learning inset seams....

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,501
Points 417,379
gini replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 1:25 AM

Hi Susan welcome to the group.

gini in north idaho

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 301
Points 4,575

Susan,

what's an inset seam?  I'm into learning new things.

Marianne

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 6
Points 160
segasal replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 7:13 AM

It is where the center of block where 6 diamonds meet!  If you look in the new issue of Fons and Porter they have a star quilt in there and that is the one that I am currently working on.  There are also Y seams in this as well!

Susan

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,605
Points 178,428
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:39 PM

Thanks Marianne, I'm in Golden Acres in Dunedin on the west coast just a bit NW of Tampa.  Don't know where the Big Bend is but if it's near the panhandle you've had some days in the 30's.  Where I am it hasn't gotten below the 50's which is a far cry from my home state of MA.  Glad I escaped their weather.

Millbury, MA

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use