rated by 0 users
This post has 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275
Karen Rose Posted: Fri, Feb 28 2014 3:56 PM

Hello,

I just joined the Quilters Club of America site last night. I'm presently only on the free membership, but seriously considering the full membership.

Though I have been sewing since the age of eight, I have only been quilting since last year after being persuaded by my wonderful sister-in-law to join our local Senior Center and it's Wednesday quilting group. Because this winter has been so severe and the health issues I have, I haven't been able to get out to the Center. I have been sorely missing the camaraderie of the group.

I am the mother of two grown women, grandmother of two girls and one boy, and great grand mother of two. To date I have made a quilt for both grand daughters and the great grands. I am presently working on a quilt (Kitchen Woodbox) for my cousin in AZ, who recently lost her husband. 

I eventually want to make a quilt for each family member, so I will be quilting for quite a while on this alone. LOL

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 4:51 PM

Welcome Karen Rose.  i have been quilting for 30 plus years, and I am still learning.  I belong to a group, but find a lot of camaraderie here.  I have 3 grown children and 3 granddaughters.  i am a small business owner.  Shout if you need any thing.  i am in the mountains of southern California.  

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

Hi Flo,

Thanks for responding. I am looking forward to making lots of new quilting friends here, my family love receiving my quilts, but look at me like I have sprouted horns when I start describing how I made or am making a quilt.. (You know the glazed over look in the eyes because they just can't get the concept) lol   It is always great to have friends that really get you and your craft.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 6:10 PM

You really want to glaze their eyes over..tell them I have been quilting by HAND for 30 years.  And yes I am working on a king size quilt now.  Give them a few years and the glazed look will be replaced by awe!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

Flo,

Their eyes glaze because as hard as  I tried to teach my girls to sew, they just found no interest in it. Though I did manage to teach my youngest(28) to knit and crochet a few years ago and they are now her passions. I'm totally glad she has picked them up as my hands no longer let me do either of them.  Maybe one day they or the grands will decide to try quilting.  One can only hope!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 290
Points 3,825

Welcome, Karen Rose

You have set yourself an awesome task of making quilts for each family member, but the journey through each will be so exciting.  That is how I find quilting - have been creating quilted items for 40+ years (makes me sound really old LOL but I started very young).  Be sure to post pictures of your accomplishments. 

Barbara

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

Indeed I have Barbra. Even if my family isn't real large, it's mostly trying to decide what quilt to make for who, then the choosing of the fabric all before eve actually starting the cutting and sewing.  I did post the very first quilt I made and will post the others as I have time.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Fri, Feb 28 2014 7:55 PM

My daughter doesn't like to sew.  And I tried to reach her to crochet and almost needed to be sedated.  But my daughter-in-law likes to quilt, so I am blessed.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

I also tried to teach my oldest granddaughter (who just turned 18 on the 26th), with no success.  I am right handed and she is left handed, needless to say my method didn't work. LOL  She does like sewing though so perhaps some day she will want to learn quilting.

Can you tell me what the posting points are for?

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Sat, Mar 1 2014 1:23 PM

No one seems to know what the points are for?

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 23
Points 275

Oh that's just precious!  LOL  I must say I'm fast loosing my interest in this site, still can only get to replies to my posts via links in  my e-mail. I think they need to invest in a new team of web builders...ones that know how to make coding actually work correctly.  UGH! what a mess this is!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,458
Points 416,719
gini replied on Sun, Mar 2 2014 1:59 PM

Hi Karen welcome to the group.  They claim they are rebuilding the site, I would hold off on the paid membership.  This was the best site out there when we joins and it has steadily gone downhill over the past year.  We keep hoping they get their act together.  We have lost a lot of members over the past year

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use