Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 26 Replies | 7 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:30 PM

Hi Marianne, it is nice to meet you as well. I am very sorry about your allergy; I can not imagine how difficult that would make your life.

Life would be boring without our fur babies wouldn't it! My dog is just like taking care of a child. He is attached to my hip since I am now home with him most of the time. I cannot imagine what it is going to be like when I am fully retired. Do you live close to your children and grandkids? I live about 2 hours from my oldest son and 4 hours from my youngest son. I don't like the distance, but I am hoping after my husband retires we can close that gap. Congratulations on 49 years! WOW!

I am preparing to learn to hand quilt as well. I understand what you mean about the time consumption! I think what I am going to do is put my first quilt that I just finished in a quilting frame and just work on it some each day, but I will work on other projects also. I am hoping that will keep me fresh and the time will pass more quickly on the hand quilting. I just found a wooden hand quilting frame that holds a king size quilt, so I am going to purchase it. I am making a table runner now, and I plan to make pot holders to match. I think I will need to do small projects like runners and pot holders in between my quilts. I can already see that it is going to be difficult to hand on to anything because my daughter-n-laws and sister are already asking for them; however, this may be a good thing--it will keep me busy.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 1:47 PM

Hi Barbara, I understand fully about the horse business. That is what has happened to me somewhat. I cannot break them to ride, and I cannot afford to pay someone to break them for me. I think you have to have some money to begin with in order to make a real successful horse business. With me beginning to think about living on a fixed income, horse business is out of the question now. I also understand about not being able to let them go. My son and I both have that problem, but with fixed income I cannot afford to keep all of the horses.

Congratulations on your new sewing room! Since I am just starting, I don't have much yet in the form of equipment or supplies. I bought a new Baby Lock Crescendo. The sewing machine I had belonged to my Grandmother, and she gave it to me in the late 60s. I still have her peddle singer though that I want to make a quilt on someday. I think that would be cool. Anyway, could you post a picture of your sewing room? I would love to see it. Is there anything you would do differently? Do you have any strategies or suggestions for someone who is going to create a sewing room? Would love to hear your thoughts.

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 63
Points 1,240
Sherry replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 9:20 PM

I have been to Anna several times, but it has been about 10 years since I was there. My friend lives on 51.

Sherry

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,653
Points 37,355
ls2116 replied on Mon, Mar 3 2014 10:03 PM

Hi cherron hope you are as inspired as I was when i joined.  The people here have been so friendly and educational.  Have fun quilting

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 4:04 PM

Thank you, from what I am seeing so far, I will be inspired. I am really looking forward to this adventure; I think it will be fun.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 4:17 PM

Hi Karen, I have not read very many posts yet either. I am still trying to figure out how to navigate the website. I have looked at all of the free patterns; WOW there are some really pretty ones. I plan to get more involved in the website as well. Good luck as you pursue your new skill. 

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Points 3,240

I too have an old treadle sewing machine which is fun to work with sometimes.  The neat thing with these machines is that you can sew away when the power has gone down due to a storm.

My husband and I stripped the room down to bare bones so I started with a clean slate.  I hope all these pictures will come through.  Here goes!

This is my relaxation area.  Lots of hand work goes on here along with breaks from sitting in from of the sewing machine or contemplation of designing.  In the upper left corner you see my version of a flannel wall.  When it is unrolled, the roll hangs in front of the closet doors.

Here is the library, creative design and communications center.

Here are the machines - both piecing and embroidery and in the upper right corner, you can see the entertainment center.  In the window loft, you can see my constant companion, assistant and sounding board.

Finally, here is my cutting table.  I restored an old drafting table my husband had in our basement.  It is the perfect height and it has a large top to allow for cutting and keeping the necessary tools close at hand.  You can also see my other comrades on the corner.

The two things I value most is lots of storage space and lots of counter top space  When I am working on something like applique, I push one of the sewing machines back against the wall.  My counters are 30" deep so there is lots of room for things.  I always have several things going, so the storage space is vital.  The closet also holds supplies behind the doors.  So far, I haven't run across anything I would do differently except maybe start with a larger room.  this one is 13" x 13" give or take.  I would love to have a room big enough to hold all these things and my longarm machine.

Barbara

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Wed, Mar 5 2014 9:27 PM

Barbara, beautiful, beautiful room!  I'd never leave it!

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 3:13 PM

Hey Barbara, thank you for posting the pictures. You have a beautiful room! That room is where I would spend at least a 1/4 of my day. Why a 1/4? I love to cook, so I spend a lot of time in the kitchen baking bread, making noodles, etc. and of course I have to sleep sometime. You gave me some really terrific ideas for my room. The first idea is that I need to plan well before I begin to develop the work space. My room is not as big as yours, but maybe someday my husband will agree to building me a room once he sees how enthusiastic I am about my new found love of quilting and sewing. One can only hope.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 435
Cherron replied on Thu, Mar 6 2014 3:15 PM

Hi Marie, how did you get your signature on your posts? I really like that idea. Since I am new to the site, I have not been able to figure that one out. I would appreciate the help.

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Points 3,240

Thanks, Marie and Cherron, for the compliments on my sewing room.  I spend at least 6-8 hours a day in my sewing room.  I, too, love to spend time in the kitchen.  I am a baker also.  I made extra money for several years selling decorated cakes while I was a mother of small children.  However, the combination of sitting at the machine and eating the baking requires time spent on the treadmill.  I have a small rule with myself that says I don't spend time in the sewing room until the daily routine chores are done, otherwise, they would not get done.

What fun doing all that shopping for starting out with your new love.  I find working with fabric to be so exciting and rewarding.  I hope you enjoy your project, Cherron.

Barbara

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,262
Points 173,163
Marie replied on Fri, Mar 7 2014 5:13 PM

Cherron, if you can access the Home page, I believe along the left hand side of that page are directions.  I tried to check for you but I keep getting the error message which shows up more times than not these days but try it and let me know if the powers that be allow you to access it.

Millbury, MA

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use