Top 10 Posters

best batting for newbie that is thicker than warm & natural

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 50
tvtt posted on Sun, Feb 16 2014 8:19 PM

I'm about to start my second quilt.  I used warm & natural on my first and since I don't have anything to judge it against it was fine.  However I wish it was heavier and had more loft.  What should I try this time?  (I'm making a quilt for my son's bed)

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,406 Posts
Points 415,664
gini replied on Mon, Feb 17 2014 12:36 AM

Poly batts have more loft, they aren't necessarily heavier.   Wool batts have good loft, but are lighter.   You can double batts, they make hi loft poly batts.   If you want heavier you can use heavier material in the top and back.  Flannel adds weight.  Denim quilts are weighty.   I've made denim quilts with double batts and they are quite heavy

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 200 Contributor
Female
385 Posts
Points 7,705

tvtt:
However I wish it was heavier and had more loft.  What should I try this time?  (I'm making a quilt for my son's bed)

Try one of the Quilters Dream Cotton Batting, it comes in different lofts... Request, Select, Deluxe, and Supreme...with Supreme being the thickest

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
212 Posts
Points 2,835
Flo replied on Wed, Mar 19 2014 1:20 PM

Have you tried the new bamboo battings?  I like the feel of them, but can not afford them.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use