Top 10 Posters

Embroidery software

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 2 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 335
Paula posted on Thu, Jan 30 2014 8:44 AM

I have a Viking Designer I and was wondering about software. I have none at the moment. I looked at the new 6D embroidery package, but was wondering if there's something cheaper out there.  I see Electric Quilt supports shv files, which is what this machine uses, but see some bad reviews.  Anyone have any suggestions on what is a good program?

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
687 Posts
Points 13,085
Suggested by Ocydroma

Paula, I have a Viking also, Designer Ruby.  I use only the embroidery software that came with the machine, 5D and it works great.  I haven't bought anything extra as it works so well and it was free. I go to several classes that she offers at the store and get most of my embroidery patterns off the internet, mostly free patterns, some I have bought to make a few "in the hoop" patterns,  I really like making those.  I can make changes on the machine, turning, sizing, adding fonts,ect.  Whenever I download free patterns from the internet, I click on the .HUS patterns.  They work wonderful on the machine. I'm not an expert yet, have only been using Embroidery machine for about a year. I bought one from Craigs list, a Brother, to see if I would like it.  Then my husband bought this one for me, used only 18 hours then traded in.  Got a great deal. I would rather spend the money on a few classes at the store to learn how to do different projects, unless the software that you are looking at will help you do certain things.  I would play around with them first to see what it is that you are really wanting them to do.  They have free classes on them also, so you can try them out before spending that much money on them.  Just my thoughts.! 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
13 Posts
Points 335
Paula replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 12:19 PM

Thanks Michelle.  Mine is an older machine and only supports .SHV files and I am having trouble finding very many of those.  At least with the software, I will be able to get just about any kind and it will convert it to shv for me.  I have only 32 designs that came with the machine, not counting letters, and I would like to expand the library, but not break the bank doing it..

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use