Top 10 Posters

Requesting Quilt blocks for a Comfort quilt for one of our long time member - Julz

Page 3 of 11 (155 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 154 Replies | 16 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,191
Points 238,962
Thea replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 1:55 PM

Angele - thank you so much I will email you Candis's address.  You are so very sweet!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 265
Points 4,945
Lesley replied on Sun, Jan 19 2014 2:48 PM

Hi Thea I have sent you an email for Candis' address as i would love to be included in making a quilt for Julienne. I can make 2 blocks.

Lxxx

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,191
Points 238,962
Thea replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:08 PM

Thank you Lesley - sent you an email with her address.  I dug through my boxes today and found my blue and purple batiks so am going to start making a few blocks for the quilt to get sent off to Candis' myself.  I will make enough with what others are donating t make the quilt at least a small queen size so she and Thomas can put it on their bed which right now is where Julz has to spend most of her days while she recovers.  I hope it brings great smiles to her face!  Thank you so much for your charitable heart!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 868
Points 14,730
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 4:20 PM

Thea I will add as many blocks as it takes to make it Queen size. I HAVE A HUGE STASH OF PURPLE AND BLUE BATIKS,  I love batiks!  Anyway will wait to see all that we get, then I will supplement to that with different blocks, I will also be adding sashing and possible border if needed.  Can't wait to get started! Love all these generous quilters! They are the best people in the world! We defiantly take care of our own!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Candis - I put my block in the mail today but with the holiday today, I'm not sure when you will get it. I don't have a tracking number for you as I just put stamps on it. Thank you again for doing this.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 868
Points 14,730
Candis replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 5:19 PM

Melissa Halpain:

Candis - I put my block in the mail today but with the holiday today, I'm not sure when you will get it. I don't have a tracking number for you as I just put stamps on it. Thank you again for doing this.

I will be watching for it Melissa! Thank you so much!! Are you going to Ricky Tim's seminar here in Modesto Feb 6-8. Would love to meet some quilters on here in person!

MODESTO, CA.
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,406
Points 19,540

Candis :
Are you going to Ricky Tim's seminar here in Modesto Feb 6-8. Would love to meet some quilters on here in person!

I would love to meet you but I will be in Windsor during that week. I will be spending the week with my brother and father. My brother lives in Ukiah so it will be nice to visit with him. My father has a time share there. I hope real soon we will be able to meet up.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 50
Shari replied on Mon, Jan 20 2014 8:27 PM

How about a quilt label....or a design in embroidery?  I would love to send to add to quilt....let me know?

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 628
Points 12,370

I need some advice for getting this block to end up at 12 1/2" when it's done.  The first one, done with way too many Y seams, does not lay flat in the middle and not all of the seams are nice.  It ended up at 12 1/4 X 12 1/8. 

So I made a sample one from regular cottons to experiment with more pieces and no Y seams.  It ended up at 12 1/4 X 12 1/4.  

I hate to try a scant 1/4" seam because I'm afraid the seams will end up different sizes. The only thing I can think of is to use So Fine thread and try to get the seams to press flatter with the finer thread.  Any other suggestions?  Maybe pressing all of the seams open? 

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 868
Points 14,730
Candis replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 10:30 AM

Hi Carol, if you use a scant 1/4 inch seam on all seams it will be fine, also use your sew fine thread. .doing this should give you a block a little over 12 1/2. And then can be cut down to size if needed.    Beautiful block and color choices. Have you pressed it out yet see when laying flat it isn't 12 1/2.  Fossils Ferns are so pretty.

MODESTO, CA.
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,494
Points 30,410
Diana replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 11:29 AM

Candis,  I just got back from post office.  My block has been posted.  Temps are dropping and wind picking up.  We're not supposed to get a lot of snow but cold the rest of the week.

Diana in East TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,191
Points 238,962
Thea replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 11:46 AM

Carol , I would do the same as what Candis said - a scant 1/4" seam.  I do not change my t2hread for anything but I use Aurifil cotton 50/2 thread.  I do, however, do all my seams a scant 1/4"  - if I make half square triangles the square way, I draw the line and then I sew a scant - I set my little thingie on the side of my 1/4 foot to 1 thread to either side.  When I do Y seams, I press those seams open - to me it is the only way I can get the seam to lay flat.  Your block pattern is great and I hope you have great success...

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 868
Points 14,730
Candis replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 12:59 PM

Diana:

Candis,  I just got back from post office.  My block has been posted.  Temps are dropping and wind picking up.  We're not supposed to get a lot of snow but cold the rest of the week.

Diana in East TN

Good deal I will be watching for it! Thank you for letting me know!   

MODESTO, CA.
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 868
Points 14,730
Candis replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 1:05 PM

Hi Carol, when I said change thread, I meant to say, I also use aurifil  in the top like  Thea, but I use prewound bobbins of so fine thread I get from superior thread. I find if I wind my own bobbins with reg thread I get a bulkier seam line . If your using blocks from Quilters Cache she uses all scant 1/4 seam line,  and if you don't you get the shorter blocks! (Ask me how I know this !).  Lol. 

MODESTO, CA.
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,639
Points 65,320
Bonita replied on Tue, Jan 21 2014 2:22 PM

Candis, block is in the mail. Should be there on Fri.

Page 3 of 11 (155 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use