Top 10 Posters

Quilt paterns

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40
suzjr3 posted on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:06 PM

My daughter in law has chosen to make a Christmas Star quilt from a pattern she found in a book called That Patchwork Place. We ran into a problem right off the bat. I did some research on the internet about cutting half square triangles. Everything I read said you should add anywhere from 1/4 inch to a full inch to the square before you cut the HST's . (I learned to say that on the web). The" pattern" says nothing about adding anything anywhere! It does say that the cutting dimensions include 1/4 inch seam allowance. NOW in the front of the book under rotary cutting it does talk about adding 7/8 ' to the square.My questions are 1. If you add to the square and the pattern does not say to will things fit together later? 2 .Is it common knowledge in the quilting world that if you are going to cut half square triangles you have to add to the square? The problem is when she sews the HST's to the larger square it cuts off one of  the points to the smaller square.There simply is not enough room to get the point. I realize this is a rather lengthy post but i have tried to give as much info as possible to the dilemma. If ANYBODY can answer this for me it would be wonderful. I have other questions about patterns but I don't wanna blow your ears off since this is my first post . Thank You all for your patience.

• | Post Points: 20

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:12 PM

if you are making two HST at once from two squares senw together, then you would add 7/8ths of an inch to the cut squares to end up with the right sized HST.  i am guessing that your pattern is having you cut the triangles out first,  then you would add 1/4 inch all around.   the instuctionas that tell you to add an inch, are giving you some fudge room and you will need to trim those blocks before  you add them to the quilt.  

it is also more than possible that your instructions are wrong,  that happens a lot with quilting patterns.

if you could give us the ending size of your half square triangles, we can tell you what size you need to cut

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,536 Posts
Points 417,914
gini replied on Tue, Dec 31 2013 12:16 PM

more often than not, cutting off the points on the triangles has more to do with accurate seams than cutting, but not always.  you must have an accurate "scant" 1/4 inch seam allowance.  any variation will result in truncated points.  good grief,  that was a mouthful, i must be full of myself this morning, but for the life of me i couldn't think of another word for truncated.  i need more coffee

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,401 Posts
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Wed, Jan 1 2014 7:41 AM

There are so many ways of doing half square triangles.  some of the new methods are really pretty cool, but my not be in that book.  Are there a lot of HSTs?  That may make a difference with which method you choose

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use