new to quilting

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 8 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110
squirty posted on Sun, Dec 29 2013 10:49 AM

Hello, 

I''m new to quilting and have lots of questions. First being, when quilting is it best not to quilt over an appliqué?  I do a lot of  appliqué and can't decide which is best.  

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
11,653 Posts
Points 136,022

Welcome Squirty

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
5,560 Posts
Points 118,390

Hi Squirty and welcome!  I do applique on quilts but I'm not  an authority on what is best. Gini will probably reply and she's one of the guru's around here. There is an applique group you might want to check out. Go to Groups, and click on the top group. Applique. Then under membership status, you'll need to join in order to see the postings. You may find tips and help there.

I've quilted over appliques unless they are small and then I do echo quilting around them; quilting around the shape of the piece. If it's large, perhaps you could echo quilt within the applique to set off the design.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
685 Posts
Points 13,280

Hi, Squirty! Sorry I don't have any other suggestions for your appliqué quilting- I haven't done much appliqué- but I want to welcome you to QCA. You will definitely find some answers here. Pictures of your quilt are expected!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,585 Posts
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 2:05 PM

Welcome Squirty.

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

Thanks so much.  

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 110

I will try this!!!!!!!!!! Thanks 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,396 Posts
Points 415,524
gini replied on Mon, Dec 30 2013 10:43 PM

Hi squirty welcome to the group.   You can do either with your appliqué.  It all depends on the look you want, and it is all good.   Quilting around the appliqué makes it stand up on the quilt more.  If you have a large appliqué piece, some quilting on the appliqué may be needed to make the quilt lie flat.

gini in north idaho

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,537 Posts
Points 21,100

Welcome squirty.

Margaret

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use