Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:12 PM

I am working on a quilt in which you're supposed to put squares on the corners of rectangles, draw a line, and stitch on the line to make triangular things in the corners. I had 124 little squares to do and was dreading drawing all those lines-I have carpal tunnel syndrome and I know it would have taken several sessions to get it all done. Then I remember that about 15 yrs ago I bought something called The Angler that I had never gotten around to using. I got it out (miracle that it was easy to find), taped it onto my machine, and it's wonderful!! I didn't have to draw a single line and all my triangles are perfect. Yay!! I knew I bought that thing for a reason.

I briefly toyed with the idea of buying the newer version but as long as this one is working for me I'll keep using it. I marked the position with some of that ruler marking tape since it covers my bobbin case and I can't keep it on there all the time. This way I don't have to do the alignment every time.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

I agree, Gale! I gave my old one to my niece. :-)

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:28 PM

The angler is a great tool as long as you can get it secured to your sewing surface.  One of my sewing machines didn't have a perfectly flat surface and the angler wanted to move everytime I used it.  However it works great on the other machines.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,578
Points 391,957
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 5:23 PM

Gale,

I keep mine in place no matter what project I'm working on. It doesn't get in the way and I can move my sewing machine without disturbing it.

Fantastic tool.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

I love the angler 2...what is the difference in the original and the 2??  I think there are not many people who like drawing those lines on the squares but we do like the effect you can get with those HST's

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 10:03 PM

Helen Bell:

I love the angler 2...what is the difference in the original and the 2??  I think there are not many people who like drawing those lines on the squares but we do like the effect you can get with those HST's

I think the newer version is made of that clingy vinyl so it sticks to your machine bed without tape.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,578
Points 391,957
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 11:22 PM

Nope you still need to tape it down. The new one lets you make bigger blocks.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,741
Points 436,300
Nana replied on Sun, Mar 14 2010 11:42 PM

Kris

I was getting ready to drag mine out because I thought it was an Angler 2 and I have to tape mine.  Now I can leave it in the drawer.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:24 AM

Kris:

Nope you still need to tape it down. The new one lets you make bigger blocks.

I saw the vinyl one on a blog-I just looked again and it's called Clearly Perfect Angles. You can see it on this blog (scroll about 1/4 of the way down). But my old fashioned Angler works fine so far so I'll stick with it. Funny thing is I saw that blog post after I found and used my old Angler so it was a weird coincidence. I would have been upset if I had drawn 124 lines on 124 blocks and then read that blog post and remembered I had the Angler.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

Gale:

Helen Bell:

I think the newer version is made of that clingy vinyl so it sticks to your machine bed without tape.

no Gale, sorry but I have the Angler 2...what is the angler like

Ontario, Canada

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Mon, Mar 15 2010 12:14 PM

Helen Bell:

Gale:

Helen Bell:

no Gale, sorry but I have the Angler 2...what is the angler like

I found out the vinyl one is a different brand of the same thing-I posted a link in my other reply above. I don't know what the difference is between 1 and 2. I think someone said that 2 is bigger and does bigger pieces of fabric. I was using pieces about 2-3/4" and it wouldn't have worked with them much bigger.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.