another question . . .

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 3 Replies | 0 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,129 Posts
Points 14,595
Dawn posted on Sat, Nov 30 2013 7:56 PM

A friend just asked me how much to make a queen sized quilt, his daughter has some baby clothes she would like to use in it . . . I told him would depend on the pattern and if I had to buy more fabric.  Any other variables?  I have NEVER made a quilt for $.  Pretty unsure.

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
Verified by QCA Admin

I haven't made a quilt for money either, but I've watched some of the discussions along those lines.  I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy plenty of fabric (including backing), batting, and thread, and those costs alone sometimes dissuade potential customers.  Then you will have to decide if you are donating your time for a friend, or if you want some reimbursement for that.  Once your friend has decided on a pattern, perhaps you should sit down together and look at Etsy to see what homemade quilts are going for.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 25
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,482 Posts
Points 24,725
Verified by QCA Admin

Yes, those are consideration and like MNancy said, your time.  Also, are you quilting it yourself or sending it to a longarmer?  I was paid $200 to make a t-shirt quilt, which did involve a little more because I cut out and ironed stiffner on each t-shirt.  It was about the size or a ;little bigger than a twin.  I was also paid $140 to finish a quilt that just needed the rows sewn together and then quilted.  Your time is a huge factor!

Just giving you some more info.  If you'll price handmade (machine sewn but not commercial, is what I mean) quilts, you'll see most go $250 or better.  check out some on eBay or Etsy, like MNancy said.    

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827
Verified by QCA Admin

I haven't made a quilt for money either, but I've watched some of the discussions along those lines.  I'm pretty sure you'll have to buy plenty of fabric (including backing), batting, and thread, and those costs alone sometimes dissuade potential customers.  Then you will have to decide if you are donating your time for a friend, or if you want some reimbursement for that.  Once your friend has decided on a pattern, perhaps you should sit down together and look at Etsy to see what homemade quilts are going for.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 25
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,482 Posts
Points 24,725
Verified by QCA Admin

Yes, those are consideration and like MNancy said, your time.  Also, are you quilting it yourself or sending it to a longarmer?  I was paid $200 to make a t-shirt quilt, which did involve a little more because I cut out and ironed stiffner on each t-shirt.  It was about the size or a ;little bigger than a twin.  I was also paid $140 to finish a quilt that just needed the rows sewn together and then quilted.  Your time is a huge factor!

Just giving you some more info.  If you'll price handmade (machine sewn but not commercial, is what I mean) quilts, you'll see most go $250 or better.  check out some on eBay or Etsy, like MNancy said.    

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

• | Post Points: 40
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,129 Posts
Points 14,595
Dawn replied on Tue, Dec 3 2013 12:34 PM

Thanks ladies!  These are some things I was wondering about.  He said he would be thinking about it.  :-)  I might have talked him right out of it!  LOL  Thanks again!

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use