Need help on stitching leaf veins

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
1 Posts
Points 65
Debbie R posted on Wed, Nov 27 2013 9:31 AM

I have a UFO that's going on 13 years here.   It has large, maybe 6" maple leaves appliqued on the blocks.  I just need to do the veins in the middle, but don't know how.  I love patchwork, but when i get to the machine quilting I freeze, I just stitch in the ditch for simplicity,    I'm wanting the veins to show up, so am thinking a heavier thread,  but I've not worked with any and don't know where to start,  and I'm not sure about securing the threads as I start each vein, or if that's even necessary.  I've tried hand embroidery with pearl cotton, but its not as polished looking as i would like.  Any suggestions?   

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
634 Posts
Points 12,430

Here's how I did mine for MQ7. Which, by the way, is still a UFO. I just used a close zig zag stitch on my domestic machine and used regular thread.

Good luck!  Be sure to post a photo when you're done!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,302 Posts
Points 414,089
gini replied on Wed, Nov 27 2013 10:31 AM

Hi Debbie, welcome to the group.  I use a practice sandwich about 18 inches out of scraps with contrasting threads.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
9,465 Posts
Points 137,978

Debbie R:
I'm wanting the veins to show up, so am thinking a heavier thread,  but I've not worked with any and don't know where to start,  and I'm not sure about securing the threads as I start each vein, or if that's even necessary.

Heavier threads in some machines can be difficult to work with, and hard to find in just the right color.

I'd do a practice with a regular thread, a satin stitch, and play with the width. If your machine has a "taper" feature you can use that to bring those satin stitches to a very fine point at the end.If it doesn't, as you get close to the finish, just keep shortening the width of the stitch every few stitches down to nothing.  

Keep us posted on your project. Would love to see what works for your project....

Top 100 Contributor
797 Posts
Points 15,925
Sue replied on Thu, Nov 28 2013 10:55 AM

HI Debbie,

For leaf veins I use #12 sulky thread and a larger needle with a bigger eye.  You also need to reduce the tension one or two clicks.  Try on a practice sandwich first.  Either the close zig zag stitch works well or just use a straight stitch, going over it a couple of times so it stands out.  Sorry I don't have any photos of my leaf quilt to share.

Hope this helps and please do post photos when you can.

In The Piney Woods of Deep East Texas

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
2,631 Posts
Points 36,945
ls2116 replied on Thu, Nov 28 2013 9:08 PM

Also if you were wanting to hand stitch them the stem stitch might work for you.

Quilting My Rainbow

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use