Top 10 Posters

Seeking a good reference book for sewing....

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana Posted: Sun, Nov 10 2013 1:23 PM

If you are like me, you've collected sewing books over the years. What REFERENCE book on sewing have you found to be your favorite, not necessarily just quilting. 

My niece is getting a sewing machine soon and I thought I could recommend a good book for her mother to give her for Christmas. I don't think my niece will quilt but she will make things for the house and embroider for her
1 year-old son.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Roxana 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 1:55 PM

(I can't believe a former librarian is about to say this....)

Instead of a reference book, how about signing her up for some Craftsy classes?  Go to craftsy.com and search for online classes for "beginning sewing."  There are a lot of them that look like they would be very helpful and inspiring.

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 2:06 PM

Great Idea, Nancy!

My thought on the book is that she needed some reference to know what to even look up on the internet. The Web is overflowing with videos and tutorials IF you know how to word your search. That's why I think a book would be good.

My Christmas gift to her is going to be a self-made "Starter Kit" for embroidery since she lives in a town without a fabric store within 100 miles.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 4:08 PM

I have been sewing for years and the reference book I bought (which is at home where I am not) is used often.  Classes with a reference book may be the way to go 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,409
Points 19,530

Hi Roxana, you might want to start at Amazon and read some of the reviews. To  me, it's easier to get an idea of what I'm looking at by the reviews. Hope that helps. FYI - you don't need an account to search and read reviews.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,520
Points 48,345
Frances replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 1:43 PM

Roxanna, i dont think i will be much help i dont do normal sewing only quilting,

but my favourite book is this one because it tells me a bit about everything

The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z - Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 50
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 1:43 PM

Two books on my shelf are listed below. I just wondered if anyone on this site had a favorite they used.

Sewing Machine Secrets: The Insider’s Guide to Mastering Your Machine by Nicole Vasbiner, Interewave Press, I bought mine from them… www.interweave.com

Encyclopedia of Sewing by Donna Kooler, Leisure Arts Publication. … I don’t know where I bought this one.
Oh, Melissa, Amazon and I are good friends! Sometimes I think I am one of their best customers! LOL! Though I know that isn't really true but we live a ways from good shopping so it's easy.
Thank you to Nancy and Vivian for your suggestions as well. Vivian, when you get home, I'd love to know the name of your reference book that's used often!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,935
Points 33,685
Roxana replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 1:44 PM

Thanks, Frances. I have that one too but I thought it was more Quilting. I wonder if they make a sewing one. Amazon, here I come!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 6:28 PM

Frances:

Frances, this is my absolute favorite book too.  I love it so much I unknowingly bought two copies of it.  Gave the second copy to a newer quilting friend.  I go to this book any time I have a question about quilting.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,933
Points 125,230

Frances:

The Quilters Ultimate Visual Guide: From A to Z - Hundreds of Tips and Techniques for Successful Quiltmaking

I see it comes in a Kindle edition. Does anyone have it on their Kindle/Tablet and is it usable?

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 249
Points 4,055

Hi Roxana

I have been sewing for kids since mine were little they are in their thirties now and the books that helped me the most were ones from Simplicity and McCalls very easy to read and understand pus they were written with graphics similar to their patterns very comprehensive Vogue also has some. Maybe her sewing machine maker will have one.

Kerry G

Not Ranked
Posts 23
Points 340
DianaJK replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 5:35 PM

I try not sew any more than I have to, but my favorite is "Simplicity's Simply the Best Sewing Book" revised edition. The directions are easy to follow and there are plenty of pictures. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,484
Points 43,625
Vivian replied on Sun, Nov 17 2013 8:50 PM

Actually Simplicity is my book too!  General sewing, but clearly instructed   

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use