Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 17 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale Posted: Thu, Mar 11 2010 2:57 AM

I just watched a series of videos where the quilter used glue in place of pins. She used glue in a lot of places on it! All I can think of when I think of using glue on an area where I'll be sewing is that it will seriously gum up my machine-but apparently it doesn't? Does anyone use it? Specifically, it is Elmer's Washable School Glue. I have gummed up a machine in the past just from using fusible web.

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,696
Points 436,330
Nana replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 8:22 AM

Gale

The glues work very well not that I have ever glued my bindings.  Elmers is good and I have never had a problem with it gumming up the needle.  I prefer Roxannes glue however and it comes with a really great needle tip applicator.

I frequently have problems with some of the fusible webs gumming up needles.  I think the biggest problems come it I use a medium or heavy fusible for a project instead of the lightweight. 

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 448
Points 5,660
CJ Hines replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:22 AM

I can't believe someone would even suggest using glue--that's awful!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,598

I think I saw this on a Sewing With Nancy segment.  She used a glue stick to hold her layers together for something -- maybe an applique.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,584
Points 54,511
Sandy H. replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:38 AM

A few quilts ago, I ended up short on the fabric for my binding and had to cut it narrower than I normally do.  When I turned it to the front to hand stitch it down, I had a hard time holding it in place, so I used a 1/4" washable double stick tape to hold the binding in place.  I pulled the binding in place for 8-10" at a time and used short pieces of tape to hold it until I stitched.  It worked great and washed out without a problem.

I didn't have to sew through it so I don't know if will gum up you needle.  According to the packaging it will not.

Southwest Florida

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 9:41 AM

I have used Roxanne's glue to apply bias tape to a celtic design (hmmm, I think that is still in my UFO pile).  It washes out when you launder the quilt.  It was much easier than using pins and then hand sewing.  I don't understand why you would glue a binding.  And here I thought Elmers glue was for mohawk hair designs!!

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:33 PM

Wow-you learn something new every day. I never ever would have considered using any kind of glue and sewing over it. I still don't know if I could bring myself to do it but it's very interesting. After donig more reading I read that some prefer the washable school glue sticks-that would probably make me less nervous. Here are the vidoes

part1

part2

part3

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,186
Points 238,862
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 1:37 PM

Gale, I use Roxanne's Glue when doing applique on a quilt and so far haven't glued any of my bindings down.  I have heard of this method though and think it would work perfectly.  I press my bindings toward the side I am going to hand sew them down to - no pins at all...

One last thought... Roxannes dos not gum up the machine and a dot of it goes a long long way... you use just tiny dots.

God bless,

Thea

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,381
Points 360,847
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 5:53 PM

Gale,

thanks for the links to the videos. I really like Sharon Schamber. She has some great tips. Never thought of using glue like this

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 39
Points 400
Cindy replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:03 PM

I don't like the idea and double work in her videos.   I have never had any problems putting a binding together using thread.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,186
Points 238,862
Thea replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:09 PM

Cindy, I agree with you - but think that for a new person doing a binding the idea is great.  Once they get used to doing it I bet they drop the extra steps too.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,381
Points 360,847
Kris replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 6:21 PM

I think for someone wanting to win an award the extra steps might be worth it. I'm not looking for prizes, I just want to finish. LOL.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,540
Points 46,089

II agree that roxeannes glue is great and it is only a tiny dot...but I do not see the need for it binding unless you are talking about machine binding down the last step...I prefer to do mine by hand and just turn as i go...glue really does have it's place in quilting though...I have used it in all kinds of places...both glue stick (it is only starch ) and roxeanne's

Ontario, Canada

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 10:00 PM

I enjoyed Sharon Schamber's videos.  Have any of you seen her work up close.  it is something to see in the flesh.  I was at a machine quilting show a couple of years ago where she was the featured quilter.  Her work leaves you with your mouth on the floor.  She has also won at Paducah.  She is an amazing artist as well.  Not fair that some people get all the talent.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Fri, Mar 12 2010 12:07 AM

Well I did it-I used glue just like I said I wouldn't. I was doing 4-patches and having trouble getting the centers to line up even though I pressed seams in opposite directions and was butting them up together and pinning. I put a dot of glue in the SA right at the center and it kept it together until I had it all sewed up. I did put a folded up piece of paper over the area before heat setting because I didn't want it squeezing out onto my iron or my ironing table (a little one I made to keep next to my machine). It just so happened I had a freebie bottle of that school glue that my kids never found so it was brand new.

Page 1 of 2 (18 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use