Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 19 Replies | 6 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,951
Points 368,307
Kris replied on Fri, Nov 8 2013 7:12 PM

Welcome Annemarie. I wish I had your weather right now.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,401
Points 119,611
Patti replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 1:05 PM

We just get snow, usually have about 3 feet most of the winter, but we have had 5, and that's after it settled.

We also have a terrible time with wild fires.  I am always relieved when fire season is over, as we live in the hills and it gets very dry here.  We also usually have dry lightning storms, which start most of the fires, but this year we were blessed with lots of rain with the storms.  Otherwise I think half the state would have burned up.  We live in a "fire wise community," which means we have done a lot to make our homes and the surrounding area less vulnerable to fire.   .

My cousin used to say, that when they had a bad fire season in Australia, we would have a similar wild fire season here.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,010

Annemarie-Fun to see you are from Australia. I'm from Minnesota and I live in the country. What kind of quilts do you like to do? This site is so informative if you have questions about anything!! The ladies are all so helpful. I just did a quilt early this year for my daughter that I called "my Australian quilt". I used material from M&S textiles. It was so fun to do. I posted a pic on my gallery. I understand that each print means something for the Aborigine people. I also like to do doll quilts for little girls who have "American Girl Dolls". That is always a small fun project to do. I guess quilting is just my therapy. I wish I had more time to work on it but I have to work also! Hope to keep in touch and welcome to this site!

Patty Schleicher/HD Lady

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 18
Points 920
Annemarie replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 9:31 PM

HI Patty, just had a look at your Australian quilt, those dreamtime prints are fabulous to work with! It looks so vibrant.

I love the traditional quilts the most, Civil war fabrics and 1930's reprod are my favourite. That said, I always quilt for the person intended, so often seem to be out of my own little niche area. I'm giving away 4 quilts for family this Christmas and have enjoyed working on them, even though they wouldn't be my first choice. One quilt is from the April Cornell Maypole range and I have enjoyed touching/feeling/looking at it quite a lot!

Your doll quilts for the little ones must be so rewarding, and only need little bits of fabrics.

You should post a photo of them in your gallery, please.

I'm going to add an Australian quilt to my gallery. See what you think.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 71
Points 1,010

Hi Annemarie-I looked at your quilts and I must say they are beautiful. The quilts you are giving for Christmas will be a treasure for those receiving them.I always like to give a quilt to someone who is not expecting one. Makes the heart feel good!! I also love the Civil war era and the 30's reprod. The book I use for my doll quilts are patterns from 1776-1930's. I don't always have the right material but I make it work with what I have. It is so fun to make these little quilts for the girls and their new dolls.Some of the American Girl dolls are from different era's in history so I try to use a pattern from their era. My biggest reward is getting a picture of them with their quilt and doll and a cute little thank you note.

It is so fun to see what other quilters do for their quilts. Your's are so beautiful, detailed. Mine on the other hand are more wildlife, country style quilts. I have done some paper piecing wall hangings also. So my "Austrailian Quilt" was out of the norm for me but it was so much fun to do. It is nice once in a while to change things up a bit. I do have some more pics of past quilts I will try to post.

This is what is so fun about this website. You get to see what other quilters do from different parts of the world.

Patty Schleicher

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use