Bye Bye Birdie quilt suggestions needed

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 693
Points 11,900
zoetc49 Posted: Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:00 AM

I volunteered myself to make a quilt using scrapes that some people used to make the outfits for a high school productions of Bye Bye Birdie. I like what many of you have done in doing the strips quilts. I was thinking of buying some white for the border and taking that up to the school and allow the students/ cast to sign this. Since the story line involve a kiss, I was thinking of making one big red lips and maybe have someone do the letterings for me of the play name and the school and year.

What do you all think? All suggestions are accepted.  Is there anyone on here that could help with the lettering? I hope I wanted to make two of these, one for the teacher and one for the guy who made the outfits. These will be wall hangings,  I think that would be the best use...again what do you all think?

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,479
Points 41,345
Mimi replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 11:33 AM

I don't know about the lettering but I was thinking a rail fence block with the signatures in the middle on the white fabric might be nice.  Also it would be a fast quilt to make.  Just an idea for your consideration.  Have fun.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

Hello zoetc, I like the idea of a wall hanging so it can be displayed in the office and the sewing room of the costume designer. Sounds like a good plan. Since I have sewn on costume fabric, that is mostly polyester I would suggest that you do it paper pieced. this way you can draw out the entire idea on paper then transfer it to the sheets of sewing papers that have been taped or fabric glued together. OR of course you can make it in quarters depending on what size you are making. Having the cast sign them is a great idea as well, that will be a forever memory quilt.
Making the lettering can be done as a single applique as well, and since you would not be washing the piece it could be typed as a font that looks like the original letters drawn out onto a piece of piecing paper then transferred to the seam 2  or whatever you currently use. then applique it in one piece. 

Sounds like a fabulous project to work on. Get  creative and perhaps one of the students is good at hand drawing the heart or kiss in the center. Oh such fun!! 

Hope the suggestions help out, & I do hope you will post the pictures after you are done. 

• | Post Points: 20
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,002
Points 13,060

i found the original lips that you can trace out and also the 1995 fat font used for the remake. 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 693
Points 11,900
zoetc49 replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 11:31 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. I like the idea of using the original lips. I thank you all for your suggestions. I will post when I start working on this.

My computer was having issues, so I forgot to get back to these comments. Thank you  all !!

I think I will do it long strips and then appliqué the lips to that and put on a white border that I will go on and have the kids sign now, while they are still interested in the play.   

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use