Page 1 of 4 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 49 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy Posted: Sat, Oct 26 2013 8:54 PM

Have you heard of the swoon block or the swoon quilt?  I'm starting to see these on a lot of quilting sites - blogs and Facebook groups.  There a lot of fun possibilities with these blocks.  One online group is doing a challenge - entered quilts must be a minimum of six swoon blocks and whoever wins the viewer's choice award will receive one fat quarter from each of the other contestants.

Here's a link that shows a compilation of swoon quilts.  You can also check on Pinterest or Google images of swoon quilts.

http://camilleroskelley.typepad.com/simplify/2011/09/swoonery.html

Anyone interested in doing something with this after Christmas?

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 80
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082
Leslie replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:13 AM

Nancy, just checked out the link, beautiful I wonder why they are called swoon blocks?

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 294
Points 3,890

Good morning!

I was looking through some Craftsy pages yesterday and found this block on one of the tutorials.  It was very easy to recreate in EQ7.  I would be interested in your suggestion about doing a quilt challenge or some other from of use for this block after Christmas.

Barbara

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 10:48 AM

Neat. I love the complexity and variety you can achieve with just switching around your values. I'm all for big, easy blocks that make up into fast quilts.  LOL  But...Why are they called Swoon blocks? 

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 1:35 PM

Nancy, I really enjoyed scrolling through the many fabric choices used with this block.  They all looked so unique and I think it is a great and very flexible block!  

Frankly, I am very surprised it has taken two years for anyone to bring it up here on QCA!  Thank you for doing so!!! (At least I had never noticed it before.)

After Christmas, yes you probably have me hooked...lol.

Winthrop, WA

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 145
Roxanne replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:00 PM

My cousin recently made a swoon quilt and it is just beautiful.  One more to add to my list.  The list is so long now that I can not possibly live long enough to complete all the quilts :)

Roxanne

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,467
Points 416,899
gini replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 2:14 PM

I'ld be interested

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 4:13 PM

Donna B:
Frankly, I am very surprised it has taken two years for anyone to bring it up here on QCA!

Donna, so you've heard of these?  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 3,452
Points 47,765
Angele replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:33 PM

I had never heard of swooning blocks before. Hmmm sounds interesting.

Angèle  from NWO

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 5:58 PM

Didn't Barbara make a quilt with this block before she got sick?

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,788
Points 122,715

Angele:
I had never heard of swooning blocks before. Hmmm sounds interesting.

Me either. I Googled till I was cross-eyed :-) and couldn't find any explanation where the name came from. I re-created it in EQ7 so I have the pattern if I want to make a swoon quilt.

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 48
Points 760
Valerie replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 6:34 PM

I have this quilt pattern. I got it with a craftsy class that i am taking. Called "Precut Piecing Made Simple".

It is a great class and you get to watch how it is made along with tips and tricks of how to make it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:17 PM

Valerie, do you suppose that pattern is copyrighted or can you share it?  How big a block does yours make?  I suppose like Judy T says, it would be easy enough to draw & print in EQ.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

I just love this pattern. After reading all the posts and looking at the blocks on your link, I took it to my EQ7 and designed a baby quilt around it. I need a baby quilt by March so this may be the perfect pattern. Thank you so much for the link and the information.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Sun, Oct 27 2013 8:25 PM

No fair getting a head start on us, Melissa.  LOL  We're going to do some kind of challenge with this in the new year.

Page 1 of 4 (50 items) 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use