Sewing binding down by machine

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 13 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Points 90
cathyshoey@aol.com Posted: Tue, Mar 9 2010 5:02 PM

When making a quilt for children such as "Quilts for kids" sometimes the walking foot will skip because of thickness isn't uniform.  Use the cardboard from bias tape and butt it up against binding on the left.  You will have no more skips.

• | Post Points: 65
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,736
Points 437,195
Nana replied on Tue, Mar 9 2010 5:04 PM

Cathy thanks for the tip.  I also see that you are knew and would like to welcome you.  Hope you will chat with us frequently and tell us a little about yourself and your quilts.

Vinton, Virginia

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Thanks for sharing Kathy.  Welcome to QCA forums.

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 70
Points 960
Suzette replied on Wed, Mar 10 2010 5:19 PM

Thanks for the tip.  I also make quilts for Quilts for Kids and to sew the binding on by machine would be alot quicker.  When I first started I emailed and asked if the binding had to be done by machine also and they said it would be ok done by hand.  But better be safe then sorry.

SUZETTE58

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,784
Points 30,506
Joni replied on Thu, Mar 11 2010 7:38 AM

My featherweight has a binding foot...I have not tried it yet, but may do so soon as I finish the baby quilt.  I love the ruffler, it does a beautiful job.  Wish I had one for my Brother XR65

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,149
Betty replied on Mon, Mar 22 2010 8:36 PM

I have to pass along the binding tip someone else gave to me.  Sharon Schamber has an instructional video on binding a quilt using Elmer's glue.  You can find it several places on the web and I think it might be on You Tube. Here is a link:  http://quiltinggallery.com/2008/05/15/binding-with-elmers-school-glue/

I never really had any trouble with binding but after watching the video I thought I'd give it a try.  The idea of gluing the binding and getting rid of all those troublesome pins was appealing.  I tell you - this is a FANtastic way of doing the binding.  It's perfect every time.  Just a note -  she uses a special metal tip on her glue bottle which I don't have and I don't think you need.  You can use the glue straight from the bottle. You glue the binding in place setting it with an iron, then you sew.  You turn the binding to the other side matching it to the seam line, glue again, and then you can sew either by hand or machine - no pins and perfectly aligned.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:11 PM

Betty, what a great video! It looks easy and the other tips she gives are good too. Wonder where she got the metal tip for her glue?

Toledo, OH

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,687
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:57 PM

Betty - I have to say - it is intriguing but I do not use pins for binding - I just sew it all the way around... I lay it out once to make sure that none of my seams end up in a corner and then just sew it down... have never had a problem...when I don't need extra steps I don't use them...

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,687
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Wed, Mar 31 2010 10:57 PM

Sharon, Roxannes glue comes with a metal tip!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 985
Points 17,309
Kathy D replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 10:12 AM

Sharon:
Wonder where she got the metal tip for her glue?

I bought mine in a craft shop.  Check the scrap booking/painting section.  You have to replace the top of the Elmer's glue bottle with the clear plastic screw on top and then push the metal tip onto that. The package that I bought had two sets.  Hope this helps.

Kathy

Calgary, Alberta

"Friendship is like a rose...opening one petal at a time only as it unfolds...day by day does it reveal its true beauty"

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,314
Points 154,618

Kathy D:
Check the scrap booking/painting section

Thanks for the info Kathy.  I will have to check it out the next time I make a JoAnn's run. 

Marge (AKA Dimples)

Griffin, GA

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,687
Points 248,757
Thea replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 11:21 AM

That is neat - I think though since I have and love Roxanne's glue that I will continue to use it and it has a real skinny metal tip that comes with it. 

I love it so much better then glue sticks - I have this aversion to my hands getting dirty - one of those funny phobias and when I used glue sticks I was constantly washing my hands - so when I found Roxannes and that just a little dot worked so well - I really fell in love with it.  I have been quilting with it now for about 10 years and am only on my 2nd bottle so it lasts a long long time.

the tips get clogged once in a while but all I do is run them under hot water and put one of the clover flower pins down through the tip - that is how tiny the tip is and why the drop is so small - but they clean out easily and work great.

Not Ranked
Posts 41
Points 1,149
Betty replied on Thu, Apr 1 2010 3:52 PM

Sharon - I don't use the metal tip and don't have any trouble.  I don't worry if the glue spreads out a little because it washes right out.  I saw metal tips on pg. 35 of the Dharma Trading Company catalog.   Look under wax (gutta) applicators.  I don't know if they work since as I said I don't use them but they are cheap.  I also have the Roxanne glue and it works but I don't like to be bothered cleaning the tip so I only use it for things that can't be ironed.  (Also it is more expensive.) 

I also use the Elmer's when I have to join to runs of fabric together to make a backing.  You fold over (wrong sides together) about an inch on one selvedge edge and press.  Then lay this edge on the second piece of backing with both right sides up so you can match the pattern perfectly.  Just slide the tip of the glue under the folded edge and run a bead of glue along the entire length, then iron to set.  Open the folded edge and sew on the pressing line, trim the seam and Voila!, a perfectly matched back

Betty W

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 441
Points 7,940
Sharon replied on Sun, Apr 18 2010 6:36 PM

Thanks Betty and Kathy D. I did buy some Elmers glue and will be trying it on my next quilt. I have been away from the computer for short time and that's why I just responding now.

Toledo, OH

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use