Page 2 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 91 Replies | 13 Followers

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 24,736
Points 364,792
Kris replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:05 AM

Three days is too short for the distance I have to travel. Five is better.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,585
Points 75,810
Karla replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 11:10 AM

I agree, it should be at least 5 days and I would think that if we could fill at least 20 rooms for 5 days they should be willing to give us a better rate, after all I believe that once school starts it is considered off season.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 12:53 PM

After Labor day is the off season. And they said we could have the conference room free of charge IF we took a block of 20 rooms, not that we had to have that many. Somehow I didn't find out what they charge for the room if we can't fill that many rooms.  Yes, Jacy, it is the same hotel you stayed in. I think they have coffee makers and maybe microwaves in the room. What do you recall about the rooms? Seems like singles have two full beds.  They said  some of the larger rooms have kitchenettes. 

there's a kitchen area in the current conference room, but I don't know about the new center they are building. I'll have to find out about that and see if they'll let us use it. 

Heres a link to the websight. http://www.stagestopinn.com/Default.htm

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 1:40 PM

Good find, Chocake.  The facility looks very nice.  There is a deli and an ice cream shop down the street.  The hotel marquee (saw it on Google Maps street view) says it has a pool and includes breakfast.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,135
Jacy replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 2:08 PM

chocake2:
What do you recall about the rooms? Seems like singles have two full beds.

I believe most of their rooms are 2 queen beds. 

And their breakfast was great, something for everyone. Something hot each day - eggs, etc, and then cereal, milk, yogurt, breads, muffins and more.

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,221
Points 41,055
Donna B replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 4:24 PM

CC, did you check out the link to the LQS's retreats for this year?  They are charging $190 for 3 nights lodging, use of the conference room and it includes all meals (probably catered).  If you have 2 quilters in each room that is $35 ea per night ($105 total including breakfast) which leave $85 for 4(?) lunches and 3 dinners per person.  With catering that is probably very do-able.  I honestly don't think that is a bad price if it includes all the meals.  Four nights would be about $254 and five nights about $316 (if I am calculating correctly).

I am just thinking that it sounds like this facility is not set up for us to be cooking potlucks in the conference room or the guest rooms.  We might get away with lunch things, but dinners...I doubt it.

Winthrop, WA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,611
Points 119,380

I love Montana and would definitely be interested attending in 2015 if it's held again. It would be too close to the retreat in Oregon for me to attend in 2014. 

In the beautiful Pacific Northwest!

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:02 PM

Judy T-Bellingham:

I love Montana and would definitely be interested attending in 2015 if it's held again. It would be too close to the retreat in Oregon for me to attend in 2014. 

For exactly that same reason, Judy, I was encouraging Chocake to hold the Montana retreat in the late spring.  Montana is stunning in the springtime.  My favorite time in that country is when the Lilacs are in bloom.  I'm looking forward to it and I still want to go to the End of the Oregon Trail 2014 retreat in November 2014.

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 5:07 PM

I totally agree, Kris -- when we are traveling from long distances -- a five day retreat is better.

I'd probably tack 2 or 3 days on the end of this trip and visit Glacier or Yellowstone (as long as the federal budget doesn't have glitches.)  (Those stories we heard on the news about confrontations of tourists and federal park rangers were just terrible!  I can see both sides, but their exercise of a little bit of power came close to being very nasty at times.) 

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:47 PM

Okay, QCA test question.

Which animal is considered dangerous: 

(1.)  The big black bear that walked across my yard,

(2.)  Jacy's moose, or

(3.)  A park ranger on a frozen national budget? 

(4.)  All of the above.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 5,109
Points 109,590
chocake2 replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 8:55 PM

Someone suggested this as another possible venue, and I do agree that it's a beautiful option, but the price... !!! http://www.sevenlazyp.com/GuestRanch.htm

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:10 PM

I agree, the price is very high. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,405
Points 415,659
gini replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:16 PM

CC, that is way too expensive.  One of the prods that made us start organizing our own retreats was the costly nature of most retreats.  If they are sponsored they are expensive.  Once you throw in travel expenses, the cost is prohibitive.  Bottom line.  We are cheap.  We don't need fancy digs to meet each other and hang out.  Though a quilt shop or two to visit is nice.     Patti has a retreat already booked for next November.   Several of the people interested in Montana are also going to Oregon, they might be too close together.  

For those of you thinking about coming that live far away.   This would be a great opportunity to bring your husbands and do a wee bit of sightseeing.  Glacier national park is, in my opinion, our prettiest park, and Yellowstone is unbelievable.  Going over the Rocky Mountains is spectacular, and western Montana is one of the most beautiful places in the world.  Take an extra day or two to tour glacier, it is just a little ways from CC's home, end up in whitefish Montana and by flathead lake,  where there are several super quilt shops, travel down the swan valley, towards Missoula,   then a days drive through western Montana to Yellowstone.  You can drive through Yellowstone in a day.   Something to ponder. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 9,059
Points 170,827
MNnancy replied on Tue, Oct 22 2013 9:32 PM

gini:
Patti has a retreat already booked for next November.   Several of the people interested in Montana are also going to Oregon, they might be too close together.

This is going to be a growing problem, I think.  There has also been some interest expressed in a retreat at the Quilted Steeple in northern Iowa, but in looking for spring/summer/fall dates, I'm running into the retreats in Des Moines, Smokey Mountains, Oregon, and now Montana.  If we are truly interested in expanding our retreat options, we may just have to throw dates out there and see if there is enough interest to make a go of it.  Maybe we'll get some new QCA-ers involved.  Maybe we'll have to also open it up to non-QCA quilters from the local areas to make the quota.  

I can't attend the Oregon retreat due to the late date.  I can commit to Montana if it is earlier in the fall.  If it is decided to wait a year for that one, I will start looking into booking something at the Quilted Steeple.  I know every one cannot make it to every retreat, and not every location is considered a "destination,"  but I just love to quilt, and I find retreats offer that uninterrupted sewing time that I never seem to get at home.  I've met some really nice, fun, knowledgeable people at QCA retreats, and I'd love to meet a few more!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 100 Contributor
Female
Posts 794
Points 12,820
Quiltless replied on Wed, Oct 23 2013 2:40 AM

chocake2:

Someone suggested this as another possible venue, and I do agree that it's a beautiful option, but the price... !!! http://www.sevenlazyp.com/GuestRanch.htm

Beautiful, CC, but I'd rather spend the money on fabric.  I agree with Gini's comments that as long as the facility is adequate to meet our needs, our heads are focused on our projects, the people we meet at the retreats and the scenery. 

Page 2 of 7 (92 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use