Fabrics for Quilting?!

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 5 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55
andrealapointe posted on Sun, Oct 20 2013 4:55 PM

Hi all,

I know that it is recommended to use 100% cotton fabric for quilting. I am making my boyfriend a picture quilt before he deploys in January and I have envisioned the backing will be the digital camo they have on their uniforms. I am unable to find this print in 100% cotton anywhere! There are several places that have it in a nylon fabric, a blend, or twill. My question is would any of those work for the back of the quilt, borders and binding? None of the patchwork is going to be this print. I really need to start moving on this project and must order everything online, so I need to get the ball rolling soon!

Thanks in advance!

Andrea

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:02 PM

hi andrea, welcome to the group.  anything and everything will work in a quilt.  some materials will be harder to work with, heavier fabrics will be harder to quilt through, slick fabric will move all over on you, nylon will have holes where  you sew. they all will work. decide what weight you want and go from there.   i would try to stick with the same fabric in the top and the same fabric in  the back, but the back doesn't need to be the same fabric as the front.  the border will be easier with quilting cotton.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
387 Posts
Points 7,355

fabric.com has lots of 100% cotton camo fabric, in all kinds of shades. I order from them frequently and have had good results.

http://www.fabric.com/SearchResults2.aspx?Source=Header&SearchText=camo&CategoryID=1d5f47dc-9991-4088-93f3-26a376046a5e&rfc=1&rfn1=category_root&rfon1=Quilting%2bFabric&rfov1=b3e53625-4a19-4379-b954-fe5e44d6dac2

Happy quilting

Denise Smart

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 55

Thanks so much for your fast response. What about twill? I'm not even sure what that is. Would that be a heavier fabric? And when you say nylon will have holes where I've sewn, does it still hold? And are the holes noticeable?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:50 PM

Twill is a weave and can be made of different kinds of threads.  Pants called chinos are twill and are a heavier  cotton, about as dense as denim, denim might be a twill fabric.   I have made denim quilts they are heavy and warm.  

There are so many different kinds of nylon it would be hard to tell you how it would hold up.  It's slick, wouldn't stay on the bed, and cold to the touch.   My gramma made quilts out of already quilted ski jacket material.  They were wonderfully warm, but we can't keep them on the bed.  Subsequent quilts out of the nylon ski jacket material she backed with flannel, they stayed put, and never wear out, they don't fade. They aren't a very "cozy" quilt. Depending on the nylon you get, it could make a nice quilt.  Obviously it holds up to sewing, clothes are made out of it.  You need to know what nylon you are getting and I would have no way of knowing without feeling it.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,405 Posts
Points 415,659
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 7:52 PM

Nylon melts if there is a fire

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use