Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana Posted: Fri, Oct 18 2013 5:41 PM

My husband and I are planning a small vacation in the south eastern USA in mid December. Can anyone recommend some good quilt shops in that area of the country? We'll be south of Arkansas since he wants to play some golf if he can. I'd like to get started on planning our trip before he changes his mind! LOL!

Thanks in advance!

• | Post Points: 50
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,496
Points 30,450
Diana replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 8:04 AM

Roxana,  Where in the southeast are you going?  I know a great shop in East TN in Sevierville called  The Cherry Pit.  Another further EAST in Jonesborough, TN called Tennessee Quilts.  Hope this helps you along.

Diana in East TN

• | Post Points: 20
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 341
Points 6,735
tnmtgrl replied on Sat, Oct 19 2013 8:13 AM

And don't forget Holloway's in Cosby...that's another one here in east tennessee

newport, tennessee

"may there always be work for your hands to do"

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:58 AM

Roxanna, If you can be more specific about the States you will be in, we can give you better info.   ???   Susan

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:23 PM

Susan, thanks for your question. Good thinking!

We'll be heading toward Florida from central Arkansas. I'm going to ask him if we can go out through TN but he may prefer Mississippi, Alabama, and Georgia and then down to Florida. Hope you can help me. ... If I can convince him the TN route, we could go through TN, then the Carolina's, then Georgia, and toward Florida and then come back through Alabama and Mississippi and northern Mississippi. We have to be in south Arkansas on December 20. I think we will leave here around December 10 or 11. 

Hope that makes it more clear!

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,186
Points 15,875
Susan replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 1:41 PM

Roxana, "Quilters Travel Companion," is a great book showing quilt shops located in every state with directions, adresses and phone #s. I have it and use it when we travel and have found some wonderful shops that I would not have known existed. If you can, you can call ahead and make sure they are still open. I have found the book to be reliable, but one time the shop we went to in Virginia had closed after the book was published. You can get the book on the internet for about 20.00 When you finally decide what route you will be driving I will give you names and addresses of shops in Florida.   Susan

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 251
Points 3,240

Roxanna,

My aunt in Florida recommends Fabric Art Shop in Lake City, FL, but hasn't shopped there in about 5 or 6 years.  When I lived in Orlando, I drove to Winter Garden to shop at Nancy's Quilt Shop.  It was towards the small side but carried a really good selection of brand name fabrics.  I always found great things to use.  Again, I would call first because I haven't lived in Florida for 15 years.

I also would recommend the Quilters' Travel Companion.  I use mine all the time.

Barbara

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,731
Points 29,955
Roxana replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 3:01 PM

Susan :

"Quilters Travel Companion," is a great book showing quilt shops located in every state with directions, adresses and phone #s. 

Thanks for the suggestion. I had one of those several years ago but I expect it is out of date. I have an APP on my phone too that QCA puts out. I just haven't figured out how to use it yet. It doesn't seem to lend toward planning. Susan, how far south are you in Florida? If we skip the TN route, we may get further down in FL.

Barbara, thanks too for your suggestion.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:07 PM

if you can talk your DH into tennessee, the quilt museum in paducah is wonderful.  sam really enjoyed it too. 

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,336
Points 414,639
gini replied on Sun, Oct 20 2013 5:08 PM

wait, paducah might be in kentucky, so cross that off. 

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use