Binding- nicely mintered corners

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 3 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
40 Posts
Points 810
Deena posted on Tue, Oct 15 2013 3:30 PM

How can I get the corners to lie nicely?   Is there a trick or something I can buy to help?  I pin them and then when I go to sew one side looks ok and the other not so much.  On a rare occasion I get one of the four to look great.

Advise Please. 

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 500 Contributor
Female
259 Posts
Points 3,370
Verified by Deena

Deena

The method that works for me is at the corner, sew the binding down to within 1/4" from the end, back stitch a couple of stitches and end your threads.  Fold the binding up at a 45 degree angle (the binding and the next edge form a straight line) then fold down even with the unfinished edge of the side you just stitched.  Begin stitching this new side at the same stitch you ended with (1/4").  Apply the binding down this new side and repeat at the next corner, etc.  When you are turning the binding to finish, the corners have a nice 45 degree angle to follow to shape the corner.

Hope this was clear

Barbara

• | Post Points: 40
Not Ranked
Female
40 Posts
Points 810
Answered (Verified) Deena replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 5:59 PM
Verified by Deena

Wow, I kinda feel dumb as that is brilliant!  Thanks. :)

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
259 Posts
Points 3,370
Verified by Deena

Deena

The method that works for me is at the corner, sew the binding down to within 1/4" from the end, back stitch a couple of stitches and end your threads.  Fold the binding up at a 45 degree angle (the binding and the next edge form a straight line) then fold down even with the unfinished edge of the side you just stitched.  Begin stitching this new side at the same stitch you ended with (1/4").  Apply the binding down this new side and repeat at the next corner, etc.  When you are turning the binding to finish, the corners have a nice 45 degree angle to follow to shape the corner.

Hope this was clear

Barbara

Not Ranked
Female
40 Posts
Points 810
Answered (Verified) Deena replied on Tue, Oct 15 2013 5:59 PM
Verified by Deena

Wow, I kinda feel dumb as that is brilliant!  Thanks. :)

Top 200 Contributor
365 Posts
Points 6,820

I was having problems with this as well but on another thread I read this:  Stop your stitching the same distance from the corner as the width of your finished binding.My problem was that my finished binding is usually a little more than 1/4" because I start with a 2-1/2 inch strip instead of 2-1/4 inches (that way I can use jelly roll strips - I am lazy!) so I find that if I stop a little more than 1/4" away from the corner I am better off and I have a little bit of leeway. Otherwise I do it as is very nicely described above.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use