Top 10 Posters

how to finish my quilt

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 125
pamortman posted on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:11 PM

My quilt has squares about 5 x 5 inch. I have sewn them together and have added the bstting. On the back I have shiny  beige courderoy.  I was just going to tie every other square with yarn so the yarn would show on the back side only. Should I sew each square with the yarn? I was told to sew each square to the back for durabilty. I have pictures of the front and back to show how I have started this. I started this quilt 30 plus years ago and want to finish it. It is 8' long and 6' wide. Would accept any ideas. Thanks.

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:45 PM
Verified by pamortman

no need to sew it.   the ties will hld it securely.   usually the quilt wears out around the ties.  make sure you are doing a secure knot.   i do three knots instead of two.  if you use wool,  it will fetl up,    you can use a variety of threads.   i don't recommend floss for a quilt that is going to be used,  but perle cottons,  yarns, string should all work well.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
Answered (Verified) gini replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:45 PM
Verified by pamortman

no need to sew it.   the ties will hld it securely.   usually the quilt wears out around the ties.  make sure you are doing a secure knot.   i do three knots instead of two.  if you use wool,  it will fetl up,    you can use a variety of threads.   i don't recommend floss for a quilt that is going to be used,  but perle cottons,  yarns, string should all work well.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 40
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 2:46 PM

and  i for got to welcome you to the group   hello and welcome,  i hope you stop in to chat with us often.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 125

Thank you for replying so quickly. I am using the cotton yarns. I am so glad I found this web site and I accept your welcome. I will probably be back with other issues.

Top 25 Contributor
5,109 Posts
Points 109,590

HI pamortman,

welcome.  It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want to do. The only issue with your ties that i can see is that  they be spaced close enough together to keep the batting from shifting. The minimum spacing should be on the packaging if you still have it.  A surgeon's knot works well and doesn't come un-tied too easily.  I hope you'll post pictures of this quilt in progress so we can all see what wonderful thing you have created!

Quilters are people who strip so they won't go topless.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,606 Posts
Points 178,433
Marie replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 6:36 PM

Hi and welcome to the gang!  I also use a surgeon's knot which is loop twice before you pull it and loop twice again as you finish your square knot.  Hope this is clear if not you might try to google it. 

Millbury, MA

Not Ranked
5 Posts
Points 125

Thank you for the advise. I have posted my pictures in my gallery. As you can see I just started the back and stitched every other block, so I will go and do each block individually for strength. I have a long ways to go. Let me know if the back side could be done any differently before I continue this project. I am a greenhorn at this so all cuggestions are totally welcome. Thanks to everyone who is replying. I am so glad I found this web site.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,504 Posts
Points 417,409
gini replied on Thu, Oct 10 2013 10:43 PM

pamortman:
Thanks to everyone who is replying. I am so glad I found this web site.

we are very happy to have you, the more the merrier

gini in north idaho

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use