I need to ask this question about cutting instructions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 12 Replies | 1 Follower

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 675
Annette posted on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:09 PM

I would like to follow a Mystery Quilt but I have never done anything like this before. I have a question about the cutting instructions. A  specific example: If the cutting instructions read:

Fabric Requirements:

Dark fabric 2 yds 

Cutting instructions

• Cut 1 (12”) strip subcut into 3 (12”) squares Cut the squares in half diagonally twice in X pattern to make 4 triangles per square 
  • Cut 1 (6 1/4”) strip subcut into 2 (6 1/4”) squares Cut each square in half diagonally to make 2 triangles per square 
  • Cut 13 (1”) strips by wof subcut strips into 8 1/2” segments 

Does that mean I need to cut a 12" wide strip from fold to selvage?  And then if I subcut, that would be a 36" piece needed? 

And for the second bullet point, do I need to cut 6 1/4" strip wide from fold to selvage? Because it only says to subcut it into 2 squares so I don't understand how to cut it.

Now the third point I think I do understand, cutting 13 (1") strips all the way from fold to selvage. 

Please help, I am not dumb (although it may appear so) but the last thing I want to do is waste fabric by cutting incorrectly.

These are just some of the cutting instructions, not all.

All Replies

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,346 Posts
Points 30,555
Agnes replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 12:30 PM

Annette--I think you have run into my biggest bug bear about instructions. You may or may not eventually cut more from the same strip. I honestly think too many instructions are written in the favor of fabric manufacturers. I also find with mysteries because you are supposed to be in the dark sometimes you don't even use the best methods when stitching. I guess I want too much control so therefore I don't do mysteries. Also I rewrite cutting instructions to suit myself and get best use of my fabric on those rare occasions when I actually follow a pattern.

Good luck with your mystery.

Agnes in NW Ontario

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Annette, these are definitely not dumb questions.  The directions do not specify WOF for cutting the first two steps and you don't need the full 42" width for the few pieces you're cutting, but as Agnes say, perhaps later on you will be able to use the rest of the strip.  I'm wondering about cutting those triangles, too.  If you are going to be sewing HSTs or QSTs, there are better ways to assemble them than to cut the actual triangles right away.  Are you doing this mystery quilt with an online group?  Can you post questions to whomever is hosting this or to the other participants?  I like doing mystery quilts here on QCA because we can ask all the questions we want and share ideas on alternate methods.  Perhaps you'll want to wait to cut until you get more clues and see how each part is going to be assembled.  Good luck!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 35
Top 100 Contributor
Female
1,002 Posts
Points 13,060

Hi Annette I am sure you will want to go to Mystery Quilt page and see what the discussions are however, I believe I can answer this question. Dark fabric 2 yds 

Cutting instructions

• Cut 1 (12”) strip subcut into 3 (12”) squares Cut the squares in half diagonally twice in X pattern to make 4 triangles per square 
  • Cut 1 (6 1/4”) strip subcut into 2 (6 1/4”) squares Cut each square in half diagonally to make 2 triangles per square 
  • Cut 13 (1”) strips by wof subcut strips into 8 1/2” segments 

the 12" strip probably should read WOF; then when you cut that strip you will have 3 12" squares and a bit left over  (say wof is 42" you are using 36").
the 6 1/4" strip will give you  a lot of left over fabric as you only cut 2 segments of 6 1/4" square
third cut is 13 strips of 1" wof and subcut them into the 8.5" segments (MOST likely will be sashings)

you will cut your 12" squares into (12) QST MOST likely will be for on point design,
the 6 1/4" squares cut into(4) HST 

I have done a few mystery quits they are fun to see everything come together, I have a plastic box to keep all my fabrics in and the cut segments, I label for the next part.

you have plenty left over for another part of the top, just place the extra fabric into a bin for later use. 

Hope I have helped you

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 675

Hi MNnancy, 

The Mystery quilt is the one here on QCA called City Streets. I decided instead to go for the Mystery Quilt 6 but I still wanted to find out about the City Streets cutting instructions because I would really like to make it also. Those were just 3 of a group of cutting instructions for that particular quilt. It is here. I believe I can choose to join the mystery quilt group and I can ask more questions. I think I will do that if I decide to do it but for now I'm going to stick with MQ #6.

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 675

Hi Agnes,

That is what I thought too. If I am only cutting off a few squares from a piece cut WOF then I must be able to do something with the rest of the fabric! 

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 675

Hi Caryl Anne,

Yes, that makes perfect sense! Thank you very much for helping! 

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
1,530 Posts
Points 31,115
Diana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:19 PM

Those big triangles are probably for setting triangles if the blocks are set on point.  We cut similar blocks in Mystery Quilt #8.    Hope this helps a bit.

Diana in East TN

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:25 PM

Annette

When the instructions read to cut a strip and then subcut you always cut width of fabric from selvage to selvage.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:29 PM

Annette

Now that I know the instructions are for City Streets It is meant to cut the strips width of fabric.   And you do need to cut the triangles as specified as they are setting triangles for the on point placement.  If you have any other questions about this pattern you can private message me if you like.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 1:32 PM

Annette

Since MQ 8 is completed I don't check the group.   Please send me any questions via PM.   All you need to do is click on my name in any of my messages and then click on add as a friend.   Now you can private message me via conversations.   I hope you will do this pattern.   I had a lot of fun designing it and also appreciate all the little tips about writing future instructions.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
Female
24 Posts
Points 675

Thank you, Nana. 

I've sent you a friend request so I can direct message you about. it. Thank you everyone!

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,741 Posts
Points 436,665
Nana replied on Tue, Oct 1 2013 9:22 PM

Annette

You have been accepted as my friend.  Contact me with any questions.

Vinton, Virginia

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use