Can you use INVISIBLE THREAD in a bobbin?

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 21 Replies | 5 Followers

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne Posted: Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:50 PM

I want to do some free motion quilting using invisible thread on the top of my tablerunner....is it ok to use the same in the bobbin for the back of the project and also what size of a needle would you use when using invisible thread and should the tension be lowered as well.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Joanne, yes, you can use invisible thread in the bobbin. When I use invisible thread, I use a size 8 needle - and a magnifying glass since my needle threader won't go through an eye that small, my eyes are old, and it's next to impossible to see the clear thread to put it through the eye of the needle.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,187
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:57 PM

Joanne,

yes you can use it in the bobbin. I've used it on top and bottom at the same time and also in one or the other. You may have to reduce the tension. Do a practice run to determine the setting that work best on your machine. I use the universal needles with no problems.

Keep the spool upright and if you have a little mesh to slip over the spool it helps to keep it from unraveling to quickly.

Hope these tips help.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,187
Kris replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 9:57 PM

Judy,

didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Yes, Kris, but you added things I did think to write. I also use the mesh stocking over the invisible thread. Most of the time I use the same color in the bobbin as the backing. For Savanna, for example, I used a white backing and white thread in the bobbin. For the raw edge applique, I used clear nylon for the light fabrics and smoke nylon for the darker ones.

Gillette, WY

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Sat, Mar 6 2010 10:06 PM

Thank you Judy and Chris for your prompt response.I will try your suggestions.

Neither of you mentioned that it wasn't recommended that one uses invisible thread in the bottom, so I take it that it is as safe as using regular quilting thread.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

No, Joanne, I said I've done both. I took a class on machine applique once and we did both - used regular thread in the bobbin and used the nylon thread.

Gillette, WY

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 212
Points 4,380
Gale replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 1:11 AM
I've read that if you use it in the bobbin you should hand roll it. Does everyone here who uses it have luck winding it on their machine? I read that the auto winding makes it too tight and it stretches a little. I've only used it in the top.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 10:39 AM

The problem that I am having is that the backing that I am using is a beige and rust rust checkerboard with little roosters on the rust square....I don't know what colour of thread to use.  On the front fabric is  a  rooster and I was going to use invisible thread to do the free motion feathering but not sure what to do on the back.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Gale, I've wound it myself and bought pre-wound bobbins. I think if you wound it by hand you'd end up with a mess! Make sure you buy a thread that is pliable, not one of the cheap ones that are on the market.

Gillette, WY

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

If it were me, Joanne, I'd just use white or invisible thread in the bobbin. I think either one would work. It sounds, though, like you don't want white going over the rust or rust going over the white. If that's the case, use the invisible.

Gillette, WY

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 325
Points 5,577
Joanne replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 3:16 PM

Yes, Judy, I think you have read me right, so I will probably go with the invisible on the back.

Thanks all for your suggestions.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 5,445
Points 94,185

Any time, Joanne; any time!

Gillette, WY

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 21
Points 135

Hi, Yesterday 3/6/10 on America Sews they used colored thread on top and invisible thread in the bobbin with a 90 needle.  I don't remember if they lowered the thread tension.  This is my first time to answer anyone on this page.  I'm fairly new to Quilters Club.  I hope this info will help you.

Millie

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 26,590
Points 392,187
Kris replied on Sun, Mar 7 2010 4:27 PM

Gale:
I've read that if you use it in the bobbin you should hand roll it. Does everyone here who uses it have luck winding it on their machine? I read that the auto winding makes it too tight and it stretches a little. I've only used it in the top.

Gale you can wind it on your machine you just don't fill the bobbin like you would with cotton thread. About half full is the recommendation.

Page 1 of 2 (22 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2017 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.