rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
53 Posts
Points 1,325
Sara posted on Sun, Sep 29 2013 6:03 PM

HI all,

I am working on my second quilt. It is going to be a queen size quilt for my son and I have a quick question about piecing. Below you will see a pic of the pattern I am using. 

First of all is there a name for this pattern? My HSTs 5.5" finished so the width will be 77" and the length will be 88". I am starting with the middle rows and working my way out top and bottom from there. My original plan was to sew all the blocks together in each row and then sew the rows together. But with this large size (this is my second quilt remember and my last one wasn't this big) I am wondering if there might be a better (or wiser) way to piece this together or should I stick to my original plan. Thoughts? Thanks for the help. 

Below is a small section I have done so you can see my fabric choices. 

You can't see it in this pic but the black has black swirls on it so it isn't just straight black. 

Thanks again for the input! I really appreciate it. :)

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Sun, Sep 29 2013 6:45 PM

Firstly - I have no idea about the name other than I like it. and I like your fabric choices. You piecing look really great.

As far as assembling it, I myself would probably proceed the way you are going. I would press all the seams in row one lets say to the left and row to - to the right. That way your seams are easy to butt together and they will nestle together nicely when sewn.  This would be my first choice of construction.

The only other I might do it would be in perhaps fourths - top right, top left, bottom right, bottom left. Doing it this way, I would then press the seams in the rows on one side up and the other side down so that when you connect the left side to the right side the seams nestle together.  (am I making sense??)

Can not wait to see it finished!!

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Sun, Sep 29 2013 7:15 PM

Sara

Your pattern and fabrics are going to make a beautiful quilt.   I am very impressed that you are working with so many HSTs on your second quilt.   If it is more comfortable for you to not work with the long rows then you could definitely do it in quarters.  There are no rules.  Just do it whichever way is easier for you.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 50 Contributor
2,576 Posts
Points 36,070
ls2116 replied on Sun, Sep 29 2013 11:23 PM

Looks great can't wait till you post finished quilt the only one I've seen was in a blue work book, but i think your fabric choice is great.

Quilting My Rainbow

Not Ranked
Female
53 Posts
Points 1,325
Sara replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:27 PM

Thank you ladies for the input. I really do appreciate it. I like the idea of working in quarters and may do that approach. I don't have all my blocks cut out yet. I didn't want to spend all the time to cut them out and then find out that I was horrible at piecing them together! LOL So, now that I know I can do it fairly well I may cut the rest out and maybe start working in quarters. 

Nana - I tend to be one who picks difficult patterns when starting out new crafts and think "That can't be that hard...I can do that!" and so I tend to learn a lot the hard way in the beginning. I have a request for a quilt from my step daughter that uses lots of HSTs as well so I figure my son's quilt will be good practice for it. However, I plan to do a quilt for myself in between theirs that way I don't go loopy with all those HSTs!!!

Here is a pic of the quilt that my step daughter has requested. She wants it just like it is pictured. Fortunately you can purchase the material in a kit. 

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,659 Posts
Points 435,535
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 1:45 PM

Sara

That is a very pretty quilt.  And I like the fabrics that have been used as well.   Your step daughter has good taste.  

Vinton, Virginia

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,110 Posts
Points 410,949
gini replied on Mon, Sep 30 2013 3:05 PM

sara, i like the quilt and fabrics your step daughter has picked out.  it will be a fun quilt to make.

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,384 Posts
Points 119,256
Patti replied on Fri, Oct 4 2013 2:28 AM

nice Sara.  That is going to be a beautiful quilt.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use