Strip Tube Ruler vs. QST ruler

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Points 20
Nayjan Posted: Mon, Sep 23 2013 6:57 PM

I have in my collection of rulers a Half Square Triangle (HST) ruler and a Quarter Square Triangle (QST) ruler from Kaye England.

I've seen demos of the Strip Tube ruler and I'm intrigued by it.  I'm curious if I can use my QST ruler in place of the Strip Tube Ruler? They look similar, but I don't want to substitute my QST ruler and learn too late that it doesn't work the way I'd hoped.

Has anyone else tried it?

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,720
Points 436,870
Nana replied on Mon, Sep 23 2013 9:13 PM

NayJan

I truly can not answer.  The strip tube ruler doesn't match up with any of my other triangle rulers.  But I don't know if it may be the same as one of yours.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 343
Points 2,960
Linda replied on Sun, Oct 13 2013 11:30 AM

Nayjan,

Is your HST ruler for one size block? The tube ruler can be used for different sized blocks. The only way is to make one block the way you normally do with the HST ruler and another block using the ruler on a fabric tube (dosen't have to be a long one). Then open them up and compare. I have been using a square ruler with a diagional line and the tube method and cut all my HST that way for the mystery quilt. It worked fine. Hope this helps a little.

Vacherie, Louisiana

Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

I know that my HST / QST ruler from Fons and Porter will cut different sizes. I have watched tutorials on the strip tube ruler and honestly it looks like the same one I have EXCEPT the markings are different on the strip tube. You would cut in a slightly different place on that one. I m also tempted to purchase one though. My only concern is my own accuracy. If my 1/4 inch seam is just a little too wide, it seems that my block would end up a little small. On the HST ruler I use I usually cut a smidgen big and then trim the finished blocks. I suppose the same could be done with the strip tube though. Again - that's just because I am relatively new and don't really have the consistent 1/4 inch seam mastered yet.

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 6,398
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Thu, Oct 24 2013 8:07 AM

I used my quarter square triangle, but some how I had to cut off a little strip every other cut, or end up with a hst with the corner cut off too much.  The result is the same, just uses a little more fabric and takes a little bit longer to do. 

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use