Yokohama, Japan Quilt Festival November 2013

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Points 55
Marleen Posted: Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:04 PM

I will be attending this 15 day quilt tour from Western Australia and wondered if any of your readers had in past years  attended same and if they had any tips they wish to share so that I may get the most of this once in a lifetime experience.  Thank you.

• | Post Points: 50
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,110
Points 410,979
gini replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 12:21 AM

hi marleen, welcome to the group.  i haven't done any official tours,but i have gone on several two week quilt vacations with a group of friends. 

pack light,  you won't need as many clothes as you think you will.   wear clothes that are comfortable  and easy to mix and match so you don't have to change your complete outfit if you get one thing dirty.   one pair of very comfy shoes. shoes take up room that is better left for treasures and fabric.  the less stuff you take along, the fewer things you have to remember to pack up each morning when you head out.    

are you on a bus?  you might want a small inflatable neck roll.   i take one smallish suitcase and a medium sized shoulder bag that is comfortable to wear.   i think they call them messenger bags,  bike riders wear them .  it holds my hand work, ipad, puzzle book and snacks and a water bottle.   i put all my chargers in a ziplock plastic sandwich bag and carry them in my main suitcase.  don't forget your camera and charger. 

i'm jealous,   this trip sounds like a lot of fun. 

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,473
Points 47,580
Frances replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 5:55 AM

Marleen,

Welcome to the group, no advice (I think Gini's covered everything) please take lots of pictures and put them on here so we can all ooh and ahh and be green with envy. I hope you have a wonderful time.

lots of love

Francesxx

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,649
Points 135,942
Leslie replied on Sun, Sep 22 2013 6:54 AM

Welcome Marlene, sounds like a wonderful time

[Ava, Missouri

Top 200 Contributor
Female
Posts 387
Points 7,295

If you have a smart phone download one of the apps that translate what you say in to Japanese and vice versa. When we were there none of the signs were in english, not even the numbers were in english (arabic.) So if you go off on your own, have the place where you are staying write their address down in Japanese so you can show it to someone and get back okay. If you don't have a smart phone with the translation app and need help when you are off on your own look for a child between the ages of 8-12 and ask for help. That is when they are taking english in school and they will help translate for you so you can get help.

Japan is a wonderful country. Everyone was so friendly and helpful to us when we were there.

Hope you have a great time.

Denise Smart

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today Copyright ©2009-2014, Crafts Media, LLC ALL Rights Reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use