Top 10 Posters

How much fabric do I need to finish my quilt?

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 4 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40
kdykes0920 posted on Sun, Sep 15 2013 2:41 AM

I would appreciate it if anyone could help me out . My finished quilt size will be 86x50". 

I cut up my daughters clothes she worn when she was younger into squares and sewed them into 5 strips that measure 12x36" each . the strips are 6x6 squares sewned together to make 6 squares across and 2 down.. so I cannot alter those strips.

So for the front or top of my quilt I wanted to have a border around every one of those five strips.. 

I am so confused at how much fabric I would need for that in yardage... Walmarts fabric is 45 inches wide if that helps.. Also how much for the backing? 

• | Post Points: 35

All Replies

Top 25 Contributor
Female
6,398 Posts
Points 119,581
Patti replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 6:06 AM

For 3 inch sashing around all the blocks would be about  yard, and for a 4 inch border, that would also be just under a yard.  If it is pieced, cutting WOF.  However, it is the middle of the night and I don't trust my math.  I used EQ5 to come up with what I thought the top would look like.  Let me see if I can print that out and redo my math, after I've had more sleep.

Patti

Chiliwist Valley

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,544
gini replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:19 PM

do you want a border around each strip or do you want a strip of fabric between each strip?   if you just want to separate the strips, you would need:

14 inches added to the sides, so you will need 2  - 7 inch strips @86 inches long  finished. fabric isn't quite 42 inches, once you consider selvedges and after washing and drying it will shrink a bit.  i recommend washing the fabric first because you are using it with fabric that has already been washed and dryed and won't shrink.  for these you will need 5 strips @ 7.5 inches  WOF  =  38 inches for side fabric. 

you have five strips 12 inches wide = 60 inches  take that from the 86 inches you need in length and you have 26 inches.   you will need 6 strips to separate the strips you've made ( two stips are for top and bottom)  =  6 strips @ 5 inches including seam allowances and 50 inches wide.   50 inches is 1 1/4  strip WOF.. so that means you will need 1 1/4 WOF strips times 6 = 7 1/2 strips (round up to 8 inches) x 5 inches = 40 inches

so i think you need 38 + 40 inches = 78 inches of fabric with no cutting mistakes. 2 1/6th  yds before you wash the fabric.  if you wash you need to allow several inches up to 6 inches for shrinkage and evening up

gini in north idaho

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,397 Posts
Points 415,544
gini replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 12:29 PM

patti, we're pretty close.   i think the difference is how the top is going together,  we need a bit more info. 

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
2 Posts
Points 40

Ok Gini , that made sense to me and answered my question! Usually when I make quilts , I don't have a certain size I am trying to make it but this one I wanted to fit my daughters bed. I was up late when I posted my question and had sat in my sewing room forever trying to figure out measurements . A couple of times I thought I had it figured out but after so long  nothing made sense haha . Thank you for your help and saving me from another headache .

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use