Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo Posted: Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:32 AM

Well, I've finished quilting my 'Ugly Quilt' and am ready to put my jeans quilt on the frame.  Usually I have an idea for the quilting design by the time I've finished the top but now I'm in a quandary. I would like to leave the pockets where you could put your hand in them.  I'm thinking an over all simple design would be best but one that would allow me to skip  the pockets without ruining the overall look.  I had thought I would use the same design I used on my ugly quilt but am not sure how the skips would look. photo 1  I am tired of meander but that may be best.  I do small meander quite well but large meander I have to trace out.  What do you think, suggest?

jeans quilt

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 13,615
Points 178,613
Marie replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:44 AM

Flojo, beautiful quilting on your "ugly" quilt, nice job!  No suggestions for your Jeans quilt except to say how much I like it.  Is it your own pattern?

Millbury, MA

• | Post Points: 20
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 5
Points 220
Bobbie replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:47 AM

I dont think it is "ugly" it is one of the better jeans quilts Ive seen yet. As for a quilting design maybe stich in the ditch along the pink sashings and place different flowers in the blocks without the pockets kinda like a flower garden of different flowers I hope you follow me but Im sure whatever you choose will only enhance you very cute quilt.

Bobbie

Lovin the quilt life

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 10:56 AM

Yes, I looked up a free stained glass pattern and the said to do it round robin style, using a 2 inch grid.  Since I don't like math that much I just made up 4 different blocks (14") that could be rotated in any direction to make the pattern random.  I made 4 of each block at a time to start and then added the rest one at a time until I got the right size (70x84) the 1" sashing between and on the outside made the over all size 76x91.

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:07 AM

Bobbie:
As for a quilting design maybe stich in the ditch along the pink sashings and place different flowers in the blocks without the pockets kinda like a flower garden of different flowers

That's kind of what I was thinking too. I don't think you want a lot of quilting on this one. Stitch in the ditch and maybe a flower in the larger squares. the larger ones with pockets, maybe just stitch around the pocket. I made a quilt for my DD from her outgrown clothes and I left all the pockets "usable" I thought she might have fun hiding little treasures in them.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 655
Points 11,290
zoetc49 replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 8:11 PM

Why not just tie this one? It would look really nice tying it with Pink and or denim blue yarn.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sat, Sep 14 2013 11:09 PM

I really like the idea of ditch quilting with a flower in the larger (more than 4" sq) blocks but I can't do ditch cause of shoulder problems unless someone can tell me how to get good results with mid arm (7 1/2" depth) on a grace frame.  Can't handle the weight of the quilt on table, no matter how large. (sob).  Tying ( in my opinion) would have to be in pink intersections and that would leave 8" un-quilted in the largest squares. 

Top 50 Contributor
Female
Posts 2,661
Points 63,480
Jacy replied on Sun, Sep 15 2013 9:42 AM

I use a ruler when I stitch in the ditch. But what about a wiggle/wavy stitch in the pink sashing and then the flowers in the larger squares.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Wed, Sep 18 2013 6:48 PM

Quilting Design????     Well, I've mulled over this for several days and was hit by an inspiration when I noticed one of my Mother's quilts had been quilted "by the piece", that is 1/4 inch inside the seam line of each and every piece.  I had forgotten I had done one about 12 years back on the machine, using my darning foot free motion style before I bought my frame.  After a little experimentation I discovered the foot on my baby lock was 6/16 inch diameter giving me about 3/15.  It was easy to follow the seam of each piece (I have all squares and rectangles, no triangles) with the edge of the foot so I'm quilting each piece inside and not having to try to follow the seam in the ditch. It involves a lot of start and stop but I like the way it is turning out. Admittedly, it is not the traditional 1/4 inch spacing, but "this ain't no traditional quilt"  After I quilt all the pieces, I will go back, change the color of my thread an quilt the flowers in the larger blocks.

I have put a set of rulers on the top of my wish list for Christmas.  If the kids don't get them for me, I'll buy them for myself!  I'll do a bit more research both on this site and online to determine which set I decide to get.  I know they are expensive but appear they would make life sooo much easier and if/when I upgrade to a deeper throat on my machine, they will still work.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,383
Points 20,740

Flojo, that is exactly what I thought when I first saw this one. 1/4 inch inside the seam on either side of the seam. Idk if you can see it in this pic, but that's how I quilted this one. Just inside the white section. 

http://www.quiltersclubofamerica.com/media/p/556997.aspx

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use