rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 4 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,344 Posts
Points 20,275
Carolyn (CarolBeau) posted on Thu, Sep 12 2013 8:34 AM

Hi Ladies,

I am looking for a die to cut HSTs that will be 2" finished (2.5" unfinished).  I have found 2 dies which I think should serve exactly that purpose.  The one that is a little cheaper  and has a layout I like a little better is the one that claims to be for a 4" finished QST.  

I just wanted to check - isn't a 4" finished QST exactly the same thing as a 2.5" finished HST?  At least for the purposes of cutting out the triangles, which is what this die does?

Is there something I'm missing, or do these dies cut exactly the same pieces, just in different layouts?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.  Here are the 2 dies I'm looking at:

4" finished QST die

2" finished HST die

Raleigh, NC

• | Post Points: 35

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Answered (Verified) Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:09 AM
Verified by Carolyn (CarolBeau)

Carolyn, I just looked at my dies. The 4" QST is quite a bit larger than the 2" HST. If you look at the dies on Accuquilt.com you can see the dimensions of the dies. Here's the dimensions for the 4" QST.

Here.

• | Post Points: 40

All Replies

Top 150 Contributor
Female
691 Posts
Points 13,170

Carolyn, I don't about the 4" one but I have the 2" finished one and love it. I used it for a quilt that had 1500 triangles and had it cut out totally in less than 2 hours including the calculation time of how many I needed for each color. Super fast and very accurate. I have a few rulers also now that I've gotten from the last retreats but haven't used them yet for triangles. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 5
Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 63,480
Answered (Verified) Jacy replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 9:09 AM
Verified by Carolyn (CarolBeau)

Carolyn, I just looked at my dies. The 4" QST is quite a bit larger than the 2" HST. If you look at the dies on Accuquilt.com you can see the dimensions of the dies. Here's the dimensions for the 4" QST.

Here.

• | Post Points: 40
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,861 Posts
Points 32,300
Roxana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 11:03 AM

Jacy:

Jacy's idea of checking their Web site for dimensions is a good one. I'll go check and see if I have both and run them through with scrap material if I do. I may not too!

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,344 Posts
Points 20,275

Thanks, all.  Jacy's diagram tells me exactly what I need to know.  Here is the corresponding version for the HST die and, as you all are saying, it's much smaller.  I expect 2.5" unfinished triangles, and it looks like that would be be the HST die, and NOT the QST die.

Thanks again!

Raleigh, NC

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,861 Posts
Points 32,300
Roxana replied on Thu, Sep 12 2013 1:55 PM

I didn't have them both. .... Only the 4" QST. ... Sorry

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,344 Posts
Points 20,275

no problem.  I think I have figured it out from the photos.  Thank you for checking!!!

Raleigh, NC

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use