Fund raising for quilt guilds

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 7 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 100
Jane Fiandt posted on Sun, Sep 8 2013 4:31 PM

I belong to a guild of about 100 members. Each year we hold a fund raiser called "make it, take it, sew it, grow it."  Guild members bring items to sell via auction. We have held both silent auctions and those sold by an auctioneer. However, it's time for something new. My question is this:  what types of fund raisers have been successful for your group or guild?  I welcome all ideas. 

• | Post Points: 65

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,827 Posts
Points 31,695

I'm new to my guild but they do the same sort of thing with the Silent and Live Auction in December. I don't think all the items are home made though. I think some are donated and then some are by theme. For example, one may be a wine and cheese basket with something in it a quilter has made but it might also include a bottle of wine, cheese, a table runner, a wine bottle carrier, and maybe a cheese cutting board. I haven't attended one. I've just heard them talk about it.

We have also had sewing classes all year where we have made something for a craft fair. If we made one for ourself, we had to make one also for the guild.

We also had a "White Elephant" sale where quilters sold things they no longer wanted and paid the guild 10% of their profits.

Each month, we have a boutique where we sell donated fabric that guild members have donated. It sells pretty cheaply. .... 25 cents for a fat quarter, 50 cents for a half yard, etc....

I think in the past they have had "home tours" in people's homes and displayed member's quilts throughout the home.

There maybe other things but that's all I know of...

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 5:59 PM

My little guild (15) does an annual garage sale. Everyone donates (& prices) their things, brings them to the host's house, & then help man the sale for a day or two. Pick the best "garage sale" neighborhood & have it there. All money goes to the guild. 

We've also invited well known speakers in for a reduced rate & have light snacks & drink.  We advertise at crafty places, in the local papers, websites, etc. We charge a fee for the tix & just host the speaker. Tell other local guilds about it also!

A lot of the big guilds here 100+ sponsor quilt shows. Members get to display their quilts. People can rent booths to sell other things they make or things quilters would like (scissors, thread, etc).  Offer it to LQS as well. They also usually have a snack/drink area (cafeteria if you can have it in school/gym) w/donated baked goods, bottles of water, candy, etc. The more you can get donated, the more money you make! Just be sure to post something about no food or open drinks past a certain point!  Good luck!

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Funny you should ask this now.  Our guild of 100 members is having its first meeting of the new season on Tuesday, and we are introducing a birthday raffle.  I got the idea from a friend in my former home town.  Here's how she described it...

"As for the birthday thing that our guild does . . .

Members are asked to bring in a bundle of quilt-related items during their birthday month that is "raffled" off. Each bundle is placed in a small plastic tote (the guild has about 12 or so) and members purchase chances for 25 cents each (as many as they want to buy, so the nicer the bundle the more chances that are sold). On the same table, we have a box with a slot in the top for money and a basket of small colored slips that we write our names on for each chance. The member places their chances in the bin of our choice. Typically, we have 5-10 bins and make at least half of our "rent" money each meeting from the birthday bundles.

The bundles usually have fat eighths, quarters or half-yard pieces that are usually in coordinating fabrics. A lot of times, people add a recent quilt magazine or a large candy bar or wrapped chocolate items. Sometimes, members purchase kits and add quilt patterns to their bundles in addition to fabric. Some are wrapped in a fashion that is really cute (in a tin/basket/large mug or seasonal container). It is amazing how creative people are in how they "present" their bundles. The member with the birthday tucks in a note with her/his name and their birth date, so we all know who brought in the bundle and can "congratulate" the person on their birthday. The bundles are placed in the totes as soon as they arrive so that members can purchase chances prior to the beginning of the meeting and also during the mid-meeting recess. Right after the recess, when the meeting resumes, the baskets are collected. The items in the bin are shown, the name of the person who donated the items is announced, and a winner is drawn from each bin. That continues until the totes are all gone. One woman in our guild has an online fabric store and quite frequently brings in surprise packages, so you buy a chance on an unknown bundle. She is always VERY generous (several yards of coordinated fabric in an large brown kraft envelope). It really is a lot of fun! 

Maybe you and some of the other board members could bring in a few bundles for the first meeting to give your members an idea how it works. It is a good way to make extra dollars for your guild."

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

• | Post Points: 5
Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,415 Posts
Points 415,724
gini replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 10:36 PM

Hi Jane, welcome to the group.

our guild does several things.  Every other year we raffle a quilt the guild has made,  that is done in the same year we hold our show.  Those are two of our big money makers.   On the other year we make up Easter baskets for  the meeting closest to Easter,they are themed and each guild member is asked to bring one.  It can be very simple. Or  more complex, but they are always nice.   For instance, our local long armed donates one quilting.   It, is a night of great fun as we bid on the baskets, and a super money maker for our guild.   We have about 40 members that attend meetings.

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 100

Thank you for the great fund raising suggestions. I will happily pass these along to our program committee. I am thrilled to get responses right away to my first posting. P.S.  Sorry about my sideways avatar. I have no clue how to make it upright. 😊😊

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
13,438 Posts
Points 176,143
Marie replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:39 AM

Welcome Jane, good luck with your fund raiser!

Millbury, MA

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

Hey Jane, just wanted to let you know that our birthday raffle brought in $60 in its first month!

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use