First Quilting Class Fabric Prep?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 2 verified answers | 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo posted on Sun, Sep 8 2013 2:22 PM

I have been quilting since I was 4.  I am now almost 70. In my very rural area we have at last a quilting class that is not 30 - 40 miles from my home.  So I am going to my first class next Tuesday.  I have everything on my list plus a 18x16 pressing board and iron ready.  They didn't mention these on the list but common sense seemed to require them.  If they have only one ironing station, well perhaps this will help a couple of us not to stand in line. 

My question is this:  What is the best way to prepare your fabric in advance for a class?  Neither the teacher's book nor mine have arrived so I can't read it to get an idea as to how to prepare my fabric.  It is pressed, squared, gently folded to fit the small cutting board I am taking.  I folded it to cut strips cross grain.  Does this sound right to you?  BTW the quilt will be one of Eleanor Burns'. 

• | Post Points: 20

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 2:35 PM
Verified by Flojo

Hi Flojo!  Have a wonderful time at your class.  I guessing this is the Pioneer Sampler?  If so it has 12 different squares and each one has different directions.  I think what you have done is about all you can do at this point in time unless you want me to tell you what pieces you should cut for the first couple squares??  LMK

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 4:16 PM
Verified by Flojo

Wow that's a lot of fabric!!  I'll give you what page 2 says about fabric requirements.  The book says the approximate finished size is 57 x 70.  She shows one light and 7 dark small print colors.  Her colors are red floral print (2 of them), blue floral print (2 of them), yellow with small flowers/print (2 of them), and a blue floral on a cream background and a light. All are smaller calicos.

"Start by selecting two different color families that compliment each other such as red and blue, purple and teal, or peach and green.  Each block calls for a light, a dark, and either one or two mediums. 

Light background = 1 1/2 yards (should appear solid from a distance, not-distracting small print; must be light enough to contrast with the other fabrics. muslin, white print on muslin or white on white are suggested.

Medium and/or dark = 3/4 yard each of 4 to 6 fabrics in your two color families.  Select at least one dark.  Vary the size of the prints. How much of each fabric to use is determined not by the instructions, but rather where you decide to use them.

Sashing (she calls it lattice) = 1 1/8 yd.  solid color that coordinates with your 2 main colors.  Consider waiting until two or three blocks are made before picking this fabric. In the sample this is different from the background.

Border = 1 1/4 yds.  Any medium or dark can be used." (she uses the blue floral with cream background.)

There's an optional Seminole patchwork border but you'll probably not get to that in the first day of your class. It uses the blue floral on cream background, the blue with red flowers and the light.  You need a 1/2 yd extra of each of the fabrics.

I'm going to send you a PM so I can send you more information.

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 2:35 PM
Verified by Flojo

Hi Flojo!  Have a wonderful time at your class.  I guessing this is the Pioneer Sampler?  If so it has 12 different squares and each one has different directions.  I think what you have done is about all you can do at this point in time unless you want me to tell you what pieces you should cut for the first couple squares??  LMK

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 3:05 PM

Mimi, thank you so much!   Yes! it is the Pioneer Sampler and Yes! I would like to have the pieces for the first couple of squares.  I ordered the book last week but the shipping tracking says I will get it the 11th - 13th and my class starts the 10th!. 

Also could you answer this for me?  The sheet I was given says "Fabric featuring 2 distinct color families-1 1/2 yards of one light fabric and 3/4 yd each of 6 med & dark fabrics.  My teacher says she takes this to means 6 of each of the color families.  From the photo I take it to mean 3 of each color family.  Her way requires 15  yds of fabric, my way 6 yds of fabric.  How big is this quilt anyway?

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Answered (Verified) Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 4:16 PM
Verified by Flojo

Wow that's a lot of fabric!!  I'll give you what page 2 says about fabric requirements.  The book says the approximate finished size is 57 x 70.  She shows one light and 7 dark small print colors.  Her colors are red floral print (2 of them), blue floral print (2 of them), yellow with small flowers/print (2 of them), and a blue floral on a cream background and a light. All are smaller calicos.

"Start by selecting two different color families that compliment each other such as red and blue, purple and teal, or peach and green.  Each block calls for a light, a dark, and either one or two mediums. 

Light background = 1 1/2 yards (should appear solid from a distance, not-distracting small print; must be light enough to contrast with the other fabrics. muslin, white print on muslin or white on white are suggested.

Medium and/or dark = 3/4 yard each of 4 to 6 fabrics in your two color families.  Select at least one dark.  Vary the size of the prints. How much of each fabric to use is determined not by the instructions, but rather where you decide to use them.

Sashing (she calls it lattice) = 1 1/8 yd.  solid color that coordinates with your 2 main colors.  Consider waiting until two or three blocks are made before picking this fabric. In the sample this is different from the background.

Border = 1 1/4 yds.  Any medium or dark can be used." (she uses the blue floral with cream background.)

There's an optional Seminole patchwork border but you'll probably not get to that in the first day of your class. It uses the blue floral on cream background, the blue with red flowers and the light.  You need a 1/2 yd extra of each of the fabrics.

I'm going to send you a PM so I can send you more information.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 5:31 PM

Thanks ever so much!  Now I can stick to what I have in my stash without having to make a trip (55 mile round trip) to get 3 more fabrics!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Sun, Sep 8 2013 6:14 PM

Flojo:
Thanks ever so much!

You're very welcome.  This would make a great scrappy quilt too.  Just tie it all together by using the same background fabric and use some of the border fabric in the squares.  Have lots of fun and you know we'll want to see your quilt when you've got it all together.  Good luck!

Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Sep 9 2013 11:59 PM

Catching up on my reading of post I haven't read I found one on going to first retreat.  The suggestion of using the address labels as name tags for all the stuff (rulers, mats, etc.) needed to bring hit home.  I had not even considered that!  So, everything from extension cord to rulers are now marked with nice neat labels.  Knew I needed to get on site more often!  All of you have so many goooooood suggestions and hints!

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
461 Posts
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Mon, Sep 16 2013 9:25 PM

Today is the 16th and I at last received my book.  Thanks to Mimi I was properly prepared for my first class and produced a very good looking block!  We really spent more time getting to know each other than making the block, but it was so simple (thank goodness) we only spent about 45 min actually working on the block.  Had tons of fun.  I may be willing to drive the 45 min to other classes (if my health holds up) when this one is done. 

You have all been an inspiration to me to get out and join a class. since I am the only one left in my family that quilts I have had no one to talk about quilting since the older generation passed on, until now. Thank you so very much!

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,459 Posts
Points 40,890
Mimi replied on Tue, Sep 17 2013 5:37 AM

Flojo:
Had tons of fun.

So glad I could help in some small way.  Connecting to other quilters and having fun is the best reason for going to a class.  I hope you have many more fun times ahead.

• | Post Points: 5
Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use