Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 20 Replies | 6 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430
CalicoQuilter Posted: Wed, Sep 4 2013 4:52 AM

I am probably an intermediate quilter, although I choose simpler patterns, generally speaking.  I enjoy piecing, hand-quilting and Hawaiian quilting and other applique projects as well.  Free-motion machine quilting is something I wish I could master.  Right now, it's small practice pieces and so far, it's an erratic and jerky ride!  

• | Post Points: 80
Top 500 Contributor
Female
Posts 119
Points 2,225

Welcome CalicoQuilter! Good for you that you have quilting experience! I think you will like this quilting community. I started quilting almost a year ago - a novice to be sure. Anxious to see pics of your beautiful quilts that you have yet to create!

Linda Gless

Hartford, WI

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 35
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 11,656
Points 136,082

Welcome CalicoQuilter

[Ava, Missouri

• | Post Points: 20
Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,408
Points 19,580

Welcome CalicoQuilter. You will love it here. You will also learn a lot from all the people on here so ask any and all questions you have. I took a free-motion quilting class at my LQS (local quilt shop). The teacher told me to practice for at least 20 minutes each day for 21 (three weeks) day and I will get the hang of it. I did that just to test here theory. You know it works. I still practice quite a bit. Unless one has a long arm, the practice is very necessary. Looking forward to pictures of you quilts. 

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,919
gini replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 11:20 AM

Hi calico quilter, welcome to the group

gini in north idaho

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hi Linda!  Thank you for welcoming me aboard.  I joined QCA a few years back, with membership lapsing off and on, following the ups and downs of life in general. It's all good!  Quilting is one of my favorite things to do, and the next best thing to that is being in touch with other quilters.  I am excited to be a member of this community and look forward to sharing with you. 

• | Post Points: 5
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hello Leslie!  Thanks for your shout out.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hello Melissa and thanks for the welcome!  20 minutes each day for 21 days, you say?!  I'm going to give it a try.  I do straight lines and crisp corners very well, but I dream of curvy loop-de-loops and all of that.  I don't see a long arm in my future, so it'll be practice, practice, practice for this old girl.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hi Gini!  Thank you for your welcoming words.  As a matter of fact, tomorrow I'm on my way to Idaho to visit my granddaughters and go to the annual Art in the Park craft event.  I'll be in Meridian, which I think would be considered south?  My wish list includes scouting out quilt shops in that area.

Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 28,424
Points 415,919
gini replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 2:48 PM

I consider anything south of Coeur d'Alene, southern idaho. 

gini in north idaho

Top 25 Contributor
Female
Posts 4,587
Points 75,910
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:17 PM

Welcome Calico Quilter for Northwestern Nevada...I agree with what everyone has said so far, this is a great group of enthusiastic and helpful quilters.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285

Hi Calicoquilter - I'm still new to the free motion thing. I like the loops better than the corners. I do most of my quilts using the stitch in the ditch but I'm trying different free motion stitches on smaller quilts or wall hangings.  My bigger quilts I take to a long arm quilter.  I don't have the space to do the big quilts myself.  I like the piecing part.  Look up "Bella Verona Quilt". I made that one for my brother. That was a real challenge but I finished it.  

Joyce

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hello Karla!  Happy to be on board!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 16
Points 430

Hi Joyce,

I did look up the Bella Verona Quilt.  That's a beautiful quilt; congrats on finishing it!  If you look at my gallery, you should find the mini Underground Railroad Sampler that I did a while back.  This is the only one that I've ever taken to be done by a long arm quilter.  I guess long arm machines are programmed to run on their own; I don't know much about their operation.  I left my quilt top at the quilt shop to be done professionally.  As the machine stitched out the quilt pattern, the machine operator stepped away and while she was gone, the needle broke and dragged along the fabric before she could get back to stop the machine.  This did some damage to the quilt back.  Damage to the front is hardly noticeable, but the fabric is compromised.  It's still a charming mini quilt despite the damage.  Still, I haven't had the heart to send out any more quilt tops yet, but I'll give it another go one of these days.  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 35
Points 495
TERESAB-10 replied on Sat, Sep 21 2013 11:21 PM

Welcome Calicoquilter! You've come to a great place!

Teresa in Naperville, IL

• | Post Points: 35
Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use