Top 10 Posters

What is you favorite make and model sewing machine?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Not Verified) This post has 0 verified answers | 42 Replies | 10 Followers

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225
Linda Gless posted on Tue, Sep 3 2013 3:01 PM

I am looking for a machine that you can actually quilt with - some free motion quilting too. In the market for my first good machine. What make and model number machine do you use and why do you like it for quilting? Any input would be greatly appreciated - as I already see that this will go an investment of several thousand dollars.

Thanks!        Linda Gless

Linda Gless - Hartford, WI

• | Post Points: 95

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,907 Posts
Points 33,200

Linda, I love my Bernina 630 with the Bernina Stitch Regulator. They no longer make it but they have one similar that has the stitch regulator as well. They also have some larger machines with wider throats for quilting. I'm waiting for their newest model to come out this fall because it will have even more features as I understand. I'm also learning to use the embroidery part to quilt. That's something new for me.

Why do I like it for quilting? Because it does what I expect it to do. I've found not all machine do that!

• | Post Points: 35
Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Thanks, Roxana. I looked at a 750 today. That had a stitch regulator on it. Do you find that the stitch regulator is worth the extra money on a machine?

• | Post Points: 5
Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Thanks, Roxana. I looked at a 750 today. That had a stitch regulator on it. Do you find that the stitch regulator is worth the extra money on a machine?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 50 Contributor
Female
1,907 Posts
Points 33,200

I think you will regret not getting it. It takes some getting used to and I'm new to free motion quilting but I like it. I'm glad I have it.

Top 25 Contributor
Female
9,059 Posts
Points 170,827

What kind of throat space do you have with your 630, Roxana?  I have a Bernina 440 QE and it only has a 7 1/2 inch throat which I find really difficult to do FMQ with even with the stitch regulator.  

On the banks of the Mississippi River in north central Minnesota (Brainerd lakes area)

Top 500 Contributor
Female
119 Posts
Points 2,225

Nancy - the 750 I looked at today had 10 inches throat space. At Quilt Expo I am going to look at Baby lock, Janome, Juki, and Bernina again. I'm taking a list of what I want a machine to do and asking them what they have that will fill the bill. Hope they have some answers!! Hahaha

Top 10 Contributor
Female
28,509 Posts
Points 417,524
gini replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 11:24 AM

I keep looking on eBay for a used designer 1.  I'm hoping to get one for under $1000.

gini in north idaho

Top 10 Contributor
Female
27,736 Posts
Points 437,165
Nana replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 12:21 PM

I don't think I have a true favorite.   I do love Bernina and wish I could afford an 830 or 750 but not in the cards.   I have a Janome 7700 that I really love for quilting and I also have a Pfaff Creative Performance that I love for both quilting and embroidery.

Vinton, Virginia

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 45

I have a Brother 1500D w/embroidery which is not my favorite for piecing or binding. I have a love affair with Pfaff. I presently have a Pfaff Creative 2.0 on which 90% of my sewing is done and I bought to replace my 2140. Still have my backup  Pfaff 1474 and gave my Pfaff 2140 to my sister. The only downside of the present day Pfaffs is "Made in China." The Brother  is made in Taiwan.

Top 150 Contributor
Female
465 Posts
Points 7,395

I had a Singer that was only for sewing that was my first machine that I learned on when I was younger.  I then got a Brother that I used for a while until my niece wanted to start sewing. I have 2 Janome's the 9000 and the MC11000SE. Those will not be parted with.

Julienne - Mid Missouri

Top 150 Contributor
655 Posts
Points 11,290

My first sewing machine was a used Singer. It was a pain in the rear with always getting missed up. I finally went out and got a Janomie, then taught my self to quilt.  That was about 8 years ago.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,475 Posts
Points 24,120

I have a Sapphire Viking with an 11" throat. I really like it. Viking is coming out with a new machine that will have a 16" throat that I can't wait to see. No word on the price yet, or what they will call it. It is geared toward the home machine quilter. I may be tempted. 

Top 25 Contributor
Female
4,592 Posts
Points 75,980
Karla replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 5:14 PM

I have a Viking Sapphire too, with the 11" throat.  I'm going to have to look into the one with a 16" throat...maybe it's time to trade up.

• | Post Points: 50
Not Ranked
Female
5 Posts
Points 85

Hi Linda, I have a Bernina 830 and love it. I could not live without my stitch regulator since I'm not a strong quilter. A couple of things you should think about when buying a machine is local service support and whether you will be using software in conjunction with your sewing machine. I have Artista 6 ( Bernina) which allows me to open up all designs, make changes to the designs, make my own designs while planning quilt layouts. When I got my Bernina, I spent most of my time at the quilt store trying to figure the machine out. Now, I would not part with it. Maryetta

Page 1 of 3 (43 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use