Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS

rated by 0 users
This post has 12 Replies | 4 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Lori Posted: Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:12 PM

I'm getting ready to start my first T-shirt quilt. Any advise or tips before I start?

• | Post Points: 20
Top 10 Contributor
Female
Posts 27,717
Points 436,735
Nana replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 1:13 PM

Lori

I would recommend that you use a fusible stabilizer on the t-shirts before you start cutting them.  They tend to stretch out of ship really bad without the stabilizer.

Vinton, Virginia

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Aug 30 2013 5:19 PM

NANA is right!  I've made 2 tee shirt quilts and have found the best way for me is to cut the fuse-able interfacing about an inch larger that the planned square,cut the shirt straight down the sides from the sleeve seam, then center and fuse it over the motif on the tee shirt.

I found it best for me to cut all my fuse-able squares first and then lightly draw an X opposite corner to opposite corner in pencil to indicate the center of the square.  I then located the center of the motif on the shirt BEFORE cutting it and marked it with a pin  from the right side.  Then and only then did I cut the shirt open as described, lined the pin up with the marked center of the square, made sure everything was straight with the world, basted the fuse-able in place with a few taps of my iron tip, removed the pin(s) and then followed the instructions for permanently attaching the fuse-able to the tee shirt.  The extra inch all around lets you correct any minor alignment errors and allows for minor shrinkage that sometimes occurs when fusing. 

That is how I did it.  I hope this helps.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
Posts 1,440
Points 23,990
Debbie replied on Mon, Sep 2 2013 6:41 AM

I agree with Nana and Flojo, using some stabilizer first is major.  I usually iron mine on before I cut the t-shirt but I will be trying Flojo's idea next t-shirt quilt I make.  I have about 20 library t-shirts from work that will go into a quilt when I retire and no l0nger need them.  

I've done 3 where I put sashing and then last year made one for a lady with the OKC Thunder t-shirts she got at every game and didn't put any sashing.  I almost like that way better but each has merit.  Mainly because if what you want isn't all the same size (you know, the picture on the shirt) sashing doesn't work very well, need all identical squares for sashing to work.  

I made a few years ago where I had t-shirts on both sides and that worked out well.  here's a picture of it:            

to see the one without sashing go to my gallery and look for Thunder tshirt quilt.  

"I'm just a poor soul who's intentions are good.   Oh, Lord, Please don't let me be misunderstood."

Debbie (dear1953)  

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835

I want to do a T-Shirt quilt and have all my shirts saved for it.  What is the best stabilizer to use and the size?  I am a beginner!  I made a pillow for a friends 60th birthday this weekend out of a T-shirt and wished I had thought of using stabilizer since it was very hard to close the end...it was raveling so! 

Still haven't heard when my quilting class is going to be.  Was suppose to be in August...so looks like that isn't going to happen!  She was busy teaching or hosting an out of town bunch for an advanced class so she may have been too worn out!  I expect to hear from her anyday!

• | Post Points: 35
Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285

Hi Bama Deb.  I've made quite a few t-shirt quilts and I use the Pellon knitted interfacing   It works very well.  

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Wed, Sep 4 2013 10:19 PM

Bama Deb:

I want to do a T-Shirt quilt and have all my shirts saved for it.  What is the best stabilizer to use and the size?  I am a beginner!  I made a pillow for a friends 60th birthday this weekend out of a T-shirt and wished I had thought of using stabilizer since it was very hard to close the end...it was raveling so! 

Still haven't heard when my quilting class is going to be.  Was suppose to be in August...so looks like that isn't going to happen!  She was busy teaching or hosting an out of town bunch for an advanced class so she may have been too worn out!  I expect to hear from her anyday!

I used the lightest weight fuzeable interfacing .  It comes on bolts about 18 to 22 inches wide.  And you can use the leftovers to make another block just by butting the edges together.  For instance if it is 18" wide and you cut a 12 " square for an 11 1/2 " block you can butt 2 of the leftover 6" pieces together  to make another 12" square.  Larger squares have smaller leftovers but I have used as many as 4 leftover strips to make another square.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835

Thanks FloJo!  Do you have a name brand?  I have read that Pellon is the best somewhere....

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 38
Points 835

BTW, love your T-shirt Pepsi Quilt!! Nice colors!

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 15
Points 285

Thanks

joyce

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,653
Points 37,370
ls2116 replied on Thu, Sep 5 2013 9:40 PM

Joyce Lillie was that your Pepsi quilt that is awesome.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
Posts 461
Points 9,665
Flojo replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 12:26 AM

Bama Deb:

Thanks FloJo!  Do you have a name brand?  I have read that Pellon is the best somewhere....

Since that is all the local fabric shop carries, yes Pellon is good.

Not Ranked
Female
Posts 4
Points 35
Lori replied on Fri, Sep 6 2013 3:14 PM

THANK YOU! everyone for the great advise. I hope to get started this weekend on my first T-shirt quilt. My son has graciously donated all his shirts and he's really hoping this turns out well for him! I'll post a picture when I'm done.

Lori

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use