Top 10 Posters

Need suggestions

rated by 0 users
Not Answered This post has 0 verified answers | 10 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 150 Contributor
593 Posts
Points 10,265
zoetc49 posted on Wed, Aug 28 2013 11:52 AM

I have a neighbor that her grand daughter started collage this year. I watched this girl grow up as she would often be at her grand Mothers home. I bought 1 yard of  Texas A&M fabric thinking I would make a pillow case for her, but now I am thinking this might be a bit lame. Nothing wrong with it, but I was thinking maybe I should do a lap quilt of something "cool". I need some suggestions, ideas please. I don't want to spend a lot of money on this. As I am typing I am thinking maybe a lap top case? a purse? She is into sports, and I think she is going to study to be a vet.  

Thanks

• | Post Points: 50

All Replies

Top 50 Contributor
Female
2,661 Posts
Points 62,790
Jacy replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:11 PM

I don't think the pillowcase idea is lame. When my nephew went to college I made him one in his school colors and I had family sign their names or write a short note on the end border. Maybe you could incorporate a little note to her on the pillowcase.

• | Post Points: 35
Top 150 Contributor
593 Posts
Points 10,265
zoetc49 replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:33 PM

That is a neat idea. I could get her Mom and grand mother to write something too, and the vet that she worked for this summer.

Thanks

• | Post Points: 5
Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395
Michelle replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:37 PM

I have a son going to Texas A&M and made him the quilt below.  It was an applique quilt and pretty easy to do.  As you can see, it was a Texas quilt, but I put the A&M symbol in the center.  Just an idea, you could do a few of them to make a smaller quilt, or pillow, etc.  The second is a close up of the quilting and the label I made for the back.

The third  picture is material for A&M, I made for my niece and only did the polar fleece for the back, regular A&M material for the front and quilted it as meandering. Very quick and still functional.  Just a few ideas.  All the students love anything maroon and gray there!  It is cool in the winter so the polar fleece is nice, or maybe flannel.  

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

• | Post Points: 20
Top 500 Contributor
Female
120 Posts
Points 2,155
Viki replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 12:55 PM

Hi there!  A pillowcase is fine, but how about one of those cool little bags kids carry with the rope material on each side and it cinches at the top?  It's basically a rectangle with a "cinch" cord running through the top, and thicker type ropes that run down the sides.  They're on a lot of sport sites such as Nike or Sports Authority if you look for an example.  I can't imagine it would take too much fabric for that.  The pattern has to be pretty quick and easy also.  There's not much to it, but kids carry those things for a few books, workout gear, instead of a purse, etc.  My son has one he packs games in to take out of town or an extra set of clothes for some activity after school.  Otherwise, you could use it for a Journal cover, or maybe an ereader cover if she has one.  You could also make a portfolio type of thing that she can slide a legal pad into on one side, a pen elastic thing on the other side, near edge, and maybe some neat thicker elastic to slide over it lengthwise to keep it shut.  You could even put in some kind of pocket on the left for papers, etc.  That way, she can use it in classes. I would guess there are free patterns for these things somewhere on the Internet.  Good luck!  Whatever you do, it'll be much appreciated, I'm sure!

Top 500 Contributor
Female
111 Posts
Points 2,565
eparys replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 3:01 PM

Pillow case would be just fine.  Another idea is the Fat Quarter Gypsy Bag. It is made from 6 fat quarters and is big and floppy. She could use it to schlep groceries, clothes etc. Here is a link to the directions. Hope this OK to include the link??

http://www.favequilts.com/Bags-Purses-Totes/Fat-Quarter-Gypsy-Bag-from-Martingale

Betty 

A quilt will warm the heart.

Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,188 Posts
Points 15,900

Jacy:
I don't think the pillowcase idea is lame
                  I dont think so, either! She could also have college friends sign it and keep it as a memento. Or you could make two, one for fam and one for friends or one a memento and one for everyday ???  She will probley be thrilled with a pillowcase in her college colors. Also, I made my DSIL one for his college team out of fleece, team on front, plain on back. He said it was the best present he ever got. It was a small lap and did not cost much. Hope this helps!   Susan

Top 150 Contributor
593 Posts
Points 10,265

Michelle,

I love your quilts !! I don't like doing applique ( not good at it yet), if I did I would want to follow what you did. I think I will stick with the pillow case and use the maroon for the accent and then I have some white Texas star for the cuff.   Now if I have enough of the printed fabric- which I think I will, I will do the bag. I can go back to Jo Ann's and pick up more maroon and come up with a pattern using that and if i can find the right gray , I will add that. I told her grand mother and she is thrilled with the idea of this and writing notes on the cuff. 

I keep thinking of neat things I can do when I am supposed to be working on other projects. I guess I really need to write a list so keep track...lol

• | Post Points: 35
Top 50 Contributor
2,670 Posts
Points 37,620
ls2116 replied on Wed, Aug 28 2013 9:48 PM

I'm jumping in on this late but a tote bag is always useful.

Quilting My Rainbow

Top 150 Contributor
Female
654 Posts
Points 12,395

Zoetc, 

That was my first applique quilt except for one when I was 12 that I made with my grandmother.  That was what I thought applique was, turning all those little sides under and hand sewing them down.  Using a fusible stabilizer was so easy. After it was put on, you just cut the applique out and iron it on the material.  I did do smaller quilting patterns when quilting it together to the backing.  I was able to go over the edges to just make sure all of it would stay down. The other quilt was quite fast, I made that is one afternoon with just the polar fleece for backing and plain material for the front. It only needed to go on the long arm and do the quilting. Those are my fast, I need one today, quilts!  I love your idea of the pillow case.  We made a few of those for the boys that I rent to in the condo at A&M.  They love them.  I also put up A&M material in the boys rooms for curtains and in the LR.  They love all the maroon and gray. 

Michelle B
Enjoy family, friends and hobbies

Top 150 Contributor
593 Posts
Points 10,265

Michelle,

I have done the applique that way but when I stitch around it , it never looks good. I really need to work on that more. I do like doing the stitching by hand rather by machine for a more home made look.

I went to Jo Anns today and picked up more fabric so that I can do the tote too, I like that idea and might later do one for other family members. I will post picture of it when I get it done. The fabric I found for the gray is gray with silver dot's.  I still have not received the fabric I ordered by mail so i will wait to get started on anything.  

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use