rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 4 Replies | 3 Followers

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 205
Jennifer Sims posted on Thu, Aug 22 2013 9:37 AM

Good Morning,

My name is Jennifer Sims.  I have some material that I have had for maybe 3 or 4 years, is it good to use for a quilt?

• | Post Points: 50

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 30

It should be fine.  I've used some that I've had for a lot longer than that.

• | Post Points: 25

All Replies

Not Ranked
Female
2 Posts
Points 30

It should be fine.  I've used some that I've had for a lot longer than that.

• | Post Points: 25
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,408 Posts
Points 19,580

Oh my Jennifer - Most of my fabric is older than that. Good quality fabric will hold up really well.

Georgetown CA I'd Rather Be Quilting

• | Post Points: 5
Top 75 Contributor
Female
1,335 Posts
Points 20,065

As the other 2 mentioned, good fabric  doesn't really expire in any time frame like that.  The only problems I've ever run into with older fabric are the following, so you might just check for these types of issues:

Sometimes quilt shops or fabric stores put stickers or labels on fabric (barcodes for checkout or whatever).  Stickers left on fabric for years can leave a residue and can damage the fabric.  So, if there are any stickers or labels stuck to the fabric, you might double-check that the fabric underneath is still in good shape.

Fabric left out in the sun (or even just left out in an area exposed to light) can fade.  I have a king sized quilt that my mom made that sat in her attic (at least I think that's where it was) for years.  The parts that were on the outside faded in the sun.  If that had happened to your fabric though, it would be pretty obvious as soon as you unfold the fabric.  :)

Can't think of any other reasons why you should have any problems..

Raleigh, NC

Not Ranked
Female
12 Posts
Points 205

Thanks and have a wonderful day!

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS
Have a Question? | About Us | Privacy Policy | Join Today © 2014 F+W All rights reserved.
By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use